Milling Yew

Luke Quenby

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very very nice mate........IMO a bit too valuable to mill with the alaskan though:blushing:

Yep, your probably right Tommer, but that's all I have access to, plus no means of transport and it's in a pretty awkward place to get to. But one day I'll have a pro set up!! :thumbup:

Got a couple more to take down in the week and will hopefully get some more nice bits out of them, well happy with the Alaskan though, only about the fourth time I've used it so still a bit of a learning curve, but am happy enough with what it's done.:biggrin:

Looks fantastic , how thick are the boards and how do you intend to dry them?

I've been saving up some lumps that I'm gonna get milled soon to hopefully make a fire surround and some shelves and am a bit worried that my time, money and wood will be wasted by not drying them correctly.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I would leave it as long I you could in the full log the longer the better soon as it's planks when green is splitting , warping and bending all shapes really nice wood is yew splits way to easy even when dry

I must have been lucky- i have always found it to be one of the most stable timbers to mill and dry:confused1:

My lumps are varying in age from fresh up to about 4 years old and 10" t0 12" diameter, the oldest bits are showing small splits in the ends and I wasn't sure whether to cut the ends off before applying pva to prevent them splitting further ( the bark is starting to peel off if this makes any difference )

Also I read somewhere you need to season one year per inch and wasn't sure if this was right as I don't want to wait that long.