squirrels

thanks for the support here friend. i was expecting to take a "bit of a kicking" re snares but i'm glad to see that i'm not the only person here that uses them.

i was taught by a few "old boys" that made their living and fed their families etc in the war so these boys knew a thing or two about the job.

No need to take a kicking for doing some thing that is legal. I used to snare foxes during the early 70's. Money was tight then, miners strikes, Maggie Thatcher, 3 day week and all that.

Our fox pelts were worth more than europeans because we are rabies free, catching foxes was not a pastime or hobby it was a way to make money to put clothes on the kids.

Never quite got the hang of snaring rabbits though, much easier to just shoot them.

Times change and all I ever shoot now is vermin.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bodygrip 116 or conibear 120-2 in a mesh tunnel are a lot cheaper than the kania 2000 and work a treat. Mk 4 fenn although approved for squirrels aren't really powerfull enough in my opinion, go for Mk 6 instead. Legally traps need to be checked every day and natural or artificial tunnels need to be used to prevent capture of non target species :thumbup1:

resizedbglog.jpg.9795e982f68bb1e58f6dc92908e25b21.jpg

DSCF0122.jpg.385379629711e981cdd60b3ef1de1651.jpg

DSCF0125.jpg.e523c0e4bd121e9ade88bb5e1088f3e8.jpg

DSCF0131.jpg.20bdfe9652921a2e0171c5de49bf5a89.jpg

DSCF0142.jpg.4f2f293249f2c335c8df56fb1b7102b7.jpg

cheers treebloke.

antipesto- i have got a few of the bodygrips but have never actually got round to trying them but after looking at your pics i think they are defo worth a go, any little hints or tips??? (other than sticking your fingers in there, i already know that 1 after trapping both my thumbs at once and having to wait for 20min for a mate to come back so he could take it off:blushing::blushing::blushing:) pm if you prefer. cheers

Hi antipesto

I'm really interested to see how you make your box setup with the magnum trap could you show more detail please

Thanks paul

Hi Paul, the box is about 2' long and 8" x 8" external giving roughly 6" x 6" internal size. It has a 3" diameter hole at each end. The trap (116bg) is held in place by some small nails to support it. I prefer the 116 as they have a longer spring than the 110 and aren't as fiddely as the double spring 120-2. There is a sliding door to allow fitting and setting of the trap. My only modification on this box would be to make the sliding door bigger or a different design to allow removing the trap with a squirrel in it easier. I also added a bit of mesh to the inside to allow easier climbing.

A few links below - 1st shows Paul Parker controlling squirrels using fenns with his own design of box/tunnel, 2nd link thehuntinglife is a good site for info on trapping, snaring and general pest control - there is a good article on there by Glen Waters about snaring squirrels, and finally "Squirrrel wars" 24mins of Paul Parker in action :thumbup:

All the best Mike :biggrin:

http://www.pestmagazine.co.uk/_attachments/resources/59_s4.pdf

Snaring, Trapping & Pest Control - The Hunting Life

Squirrel Wars: Red vs Grey - 4oD - Channel 4

DSCF0112.jpg.57a5ebef27d6a778a731e48a445c12e9.jpg

DSCF0109.jpg.8e74e8b54799a0ebfb2a25a60f289906.jpg

DSCF0108.jpg.a5a9c15faf61a7e4eb9272052579545b.jpg

DSCF0107.jpg.828371dee785834cadc9226fdfd6f841.jpg

DSCF0104.jpg.1a33fb5eb24f028826292faa1cfdd87f.jpg

cheers treebloke.

antipesto- i have got a few of the bodygrips but have never actually got round to trying them but after looking at your pics i think they are defo worth a go, any little hints or tips??? (other than sticking your fingers in there, i already know that 1 after trapping both my thumbs at once and having to wait for 20min for a mate to come back so he could take it off:blushing::blushing::blushing:) pm if you prefer. cheers

As above really - register on thehuntinglife and search for "bodygrip" there are loads of pictures of different setups for mink,rabbit,rat, squirrel etc. Some are much quicker to make and simpler than mine and work just as well, don't over complicate things keep it simple.

These pictures show simple ground anchors which can be made in under 5 mins with a welder and a bit of flat plate and a few nails. The 1st can be screwed into a fence panel or tree branch and the 2nd pushed into the ground. A very versatile trap indeed :beerchug:

bgstand2.jpg.3bb6a55f7053ce215fd465cef88ea414.jpg

bgstand1.jpg.b865c7621f107bc1d0ccc1cb7cee5fc0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
got any ideas how to snare the english.?They are just overwelming scotland at moment. esp edinburgh. thought about landmines but that could get messy. invasive species!

Bit dodgy mate, you would need to check your traps every few hours if baited with an empty beer as you could wipe out the 'ginger gene':thumbup1: