Anyone heard of this

Ian150482

I've known climbers use both ends of their ropes for years, never heard of this happening. Is this a hypothetical scenario, or is it recorded for causing accidents?

I've known climbers too, that climb this way. It may have been a hypothetical, because he didnt mention any stats.

I just think its a bit much having all those ropes flapping around with you waiting to get tangled in surley thats a risk in itself.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently did my CS38 training and was only shown to climb on both ends of the rope and wasn't even shown a lanyard....!

Jim (newbie, greenhorn blah...)

And so he should. :001_smile:

If for some reason, you found yourself with no side strop or lanyard, you would still be able to carry out the job and not stand there scratching your head. :001_tongue:

All you need is your rope and a crab. I think it is good that people carry the knowledge, just because they teach you this method they are not saying you should use it.

And so he should. :

All you need is your rope and a crab. I think it is good that people carry the knowledge, just because they teach you this method they are not saying you should use it.

Whats the crab for :confused1: just tie straight to the harness........ :001_tongue:............. come to think of it why not tie a harness out of your rope!!!!

Why do we waste so much money on all this unnecessary gear:confused1:

I have been doing my Ua1 coarse, whilst doing it we got onto talking about climbing and aerial rescue, the way i was tought was to get a high anchor, blah blah............... So in total that 4 ropes you'd have excluding your lanyard. Does anyone else think this is a bit OTT?

First i heard of this.

Hope it makes sence.:bored:

Firstly, this job is about work positioning for pruning/cutting. I have seen a lot of systems in my time plus a lot of climbers, I think the current stuff taught by instructors / colleges / LANTRA ect needs a big overhaul. Would like to see a LOT MORE COMMENT on this site on these matters. Safe work systems are either ignored or confuse / slow down new climbers who then end up adopting unsafe methods -to get the job done. Then we wonder why every year there is a steady batch of dreadful injuries/deaths.

I climb with one rope and VT hitch, set as high as is practicable. When cutting ( or changeover ) -my cable strop is always around a secure branch- with this system I am always in balance ( reduced body stress + accurate cutting possition ) and cannot have a rope-cuthrough or fall of more than a meter or so. Hope this helps,

K

Is your UA1 instructor a qualified climbing instructor. I ask, because my UA1 examiner was a Western Power Distribution employee. He is a qualified NPTC assesser, he knew everything about powerlines, trees and correct pruning methods but had never climbed a tree in his life.