self tending hitches?

the verminator

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

i have been climbing on a v.t for a while and am very happy with it. but now i am after a knot that will self tend. i have tried a knut in a few different configurations but cant get it to self tend. the tree i tried it on wasnt very big so mabey there wasnt enough pull on the rope to get it to self tend? so what knots do you use that will self tend?

Gary

Hey man, the smaller diameter rope u have the better it self tends. i.e 11mm Blaze with 8mm Ocean Poly. but i use 10mm OP on 11.5mm Tachyon and it works minter with the Knut. Find 8mm burns my fingers/hands too much. Theres a vid of it in use under (frictionhitchery) it was working OK there but usually works better, especially if new hitch Cord.

MOG

Hey man, the smaller diameter rope u have the better it self tends. i.e 11mm Blaze with 8mm Ocean Poly. but i use 10mm OP on 11.5mm Tachyon and it works minter with the Knut. Find 8mm burns my fingers/hands too much. Theres a vid of it in use under (frictionhitchery) it was working OK there but usually works better, especially if new hitch Cord.

MOG

i use this On tachyon 11.5mm

DSC00132.jpg.b3c549e24ae8a834dfb14b89fe716574.jpg

There is a couple different setups you can use to make the hitch self-tend, this is the variation I use, I normally rock the distel or swabish, but anything will do.

IMG_8613.jpg

IMG_8614.jpg

It's tough to see what tends the slack, it's a piece of throwline prusic'd about 2 feet above your termination knot, with a dog tag clip, which then attaches to a micropulley below your friction hitch, instead of through the same biener that attaches to the eye to eye.

The red rope is just so you go further per pull, more leverage.

Sorry for the quality of the shots, I got the girlfriend to climb in my gear, she took the pics. Loved every second of it, lol.

Edited by Rachis

Thats not really self tending, thats forced advancing if you see what I mean? Self tending is when the weight of rope below the climber advances the hitch. What you have is a plenty good method but its not the same, its good for starters though.

Hi Mog, thanks for that. sounds like my next rope will be a smaller one then.

Rachis, i use a system simular to that for if i have a long way to go up a tree, i do it slightly differnetly to that tho. i tie a alpine butterfly into the static line and clip the carabiner with the hitch climber into that.

Dilz, i do have a HC pulley, love it :001_cool: makes everything neat and tidy

3 /3 on a VT with fly and 8mm Armor prus seems it self tends for me around 15ft ,i think its down to so many different factors like how worn the rope or cord is but most importantly you need to always have the tail free of obstructions so the weight of the rope pulls through the hitch..