Anchor points for branch walking

will.morris

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always use a running bowline alongwith a flip line when spiking. As others have said useful for sending the saw down or other kit back up. The other thing it's good for is hanging off when your feet/legs need a rest from the spikes if you've been on them for a long time.

The most important reason though is to catch you if you do have a slip. I slipped and broke my ribs when spiking and I got myself down using this line with a minimum of fuss and pain. I wouldn't have fancied spiking back down with busted ribs.

Always climb to your abilities and in a way you feel safe, if your a trainee and inexperienced your employer will know that and there should be someone there to advise and not just criticise. Someone once told me it doesn't matter how you do it as long as you do it, it's your life, don't waste it trying to impress others

i tell my lads to climb on two ropes,but the more expreince lads use one rope and put the anker point as high in the crown as poss,then when you branch walk its a lot easyer to get out all the way because of the angle of the rope,

Are you a tree surgeon?

You'll probably find as you have more time in the tree that your rope management will allow you to do the majority of branch walks off a single line. You can always whack your strop over the branch you're on or one near by for some added security. A high anchor point in line with the branch you're on is the key. Sometimes though, as was said before, if it's particularly slippy or windy then two or maybe even three anchor points are the way to go. Just listen to and watch what goes on and make sure you're safe. Balance and speed will come so long as you think about what you're doing and practice as much as you can.

You'll probably find as you have more time in the tree that your rope management will allow you to do the majority of branch walks off a single line. You can always whack your strop over the branch you're on or one near by for some added security. A high anchor point in line with the branch you're on is the key. Sometimes though, as was said before, if it's particularly slippy or windy then two or maybe even three anchor points are the way to go. Just listen to and watch what goes on and make sure you're safe. Balance and speed will come so long as you think about what you're doing and practice as much as you can.

:thumbup:

Generally I branch walk on a single anchor point nice and high in the tree and even u do fall the swing is slow and controlled, on some long sloping branches its a good idea as there can be a possibilty of bottoming out on your swing back in like in my avatar this was a long sloping branch with quite a sparse crown and some nice cavities I needed all the extra support I could get.

in reference to the bit about using your climbing line, and a running bow line as a back up when chogging down, this is best practice and belive it or not wire strops ARE NOT CHAIN SAW PROOF! though some what difficult to cut but as soon as you start waiving bigger saws around there is a risk, i know a couple of people who have sliced through their flip line and an old boss nearly got through one of the big old swedish stops using a 660.

i dont do the back up all the time, but it offers a quick escape should things go wrong as well as making it easier for you to be rescued, which i hope never has to happen

Edited by Dilz
it makes more sense if i edit it!