Sick Ash

sean

This Ash located within a public park has been heavily reduced in the not too distant past. It still has severe die back in the crown and Ganoderma at the base (possibly linked to crown die back?)

I am interested to gauge peoples opinions on this tree especially with regards whats going on up the length of the trunk?? What caused this?

I have spoken to the LA a couple of times with regards the management of this tree and 6 months have past and still nothing done. As can be seen its over a public path.

My reccommendation is to monolith it?

Your thoughts please.

Many thanks.:001_smile:

IMG_1053.jpg.6744515c7e126beb4dd5a8eeab49ff6d.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg.7a69b36f1065a1b906953898128be181.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg.2bfe41aa678d70d6c0cc57b07e058f61.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg.2b8b6cb911d65350396c8556d82b7afd.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg.5c8365387c584d20798678320c974667.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg.bcba7027bfee04b2deae0f844d01e73d.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg.d31297f711099bc4c877e27fc26167b8.jpg

Strip down the trunk seems to be originating from an old pruning(?) wound just below crown break: related to hispidus perhaps?

Any thoughts on which Ganoderma is it? It could make a difference to management recommendations.

I'll hold back on my own thoughts for management and see what monkey/hama/fungus/some other clever bugger makes of it first! :)

Like the cunningly placed 'child on bike' to highlight the target zone :sneaky2::biggrin:

Due to that I would not personally go with the Mono idea, unless regular (annual) assessment was in place.

I would lean toward the Ganos being australe. If so, it's a take out in my opinion.

If it was at HH or Richmond, I may well be tempted to go for a habitat stick.

Why do you say mellea Tony ?

what as apposed to saying armillaria, i knew when i typed it you would have me up on it!:001_cool:

if your asking why mellea I meant to say armillaria, i said mellea as i always refer to it as such being the most common IME.

if your asking why do I suspect it, look at the butresses and new tissues at the base. got the body language of decay all over it.:thumbup1: