Robinia Fenceposts?

Daniël Bos

I'm after a small quantity (250) of Robinia fenceposts, does anyone know a supplier that'll get them to me (south Lincs) this week?

I need 4" x 6' posts, but have been told by my "local" that there's a national shortage of 6 footers so they sent me a load of 5'6" instead. (without even asking me if I mind, wich I do!!). So if you don't know a supply of Robinia, where would I be able to get treated softwood?

Thanks a bundle, Daniel

I'm after a small quantity (250) of Robinia fenceposts, does anyone know a supplier that'll get them to me (south Lincs) this week?

I need 4" x 6' posts, but have been told by my "local" that there's a national shortage of 6 footers so they sent me a load of 5'6" instead. (without even asking me if I mind, wich I do!!). So if you don't know a supply of Robinia, where would I be able to get treated softwood?

Thanks a bundle, Daniel

We've all heard of them shortages

If it's not fenceposts it's cement or the other day I was told building blocks.

It may be true or it may be an excuse.

It is a damn fine way of increasing demand for a product though:laugh1:

I've phoned them this morning and told them that due to the national shortage of ££'s I've paid them in Japanese yen instead. They were quite quickly apologetic.:sneaky2:

Still leaves me to find a different supplier though, can find plenty of places with treated softwood, but any clues on Robinia:confused1:?

I've used it a lot in the Netherlands and it beats any other timber I've used for fencing, including (larger diameter!) oak!:thumbup:

I've phoned them this morning and told them that due to the national shortage of ££'s I've paid them in Japanese yen instead. They were quite quickly apologetic.:sneaky2:

Still leaves me to find a different supplier though, can find plenty of places with treated softwood, but any clues on Robinia:confused1:?

I've used it a lot in the Netherlands and it beats any other timber I've used for fencing, including (larger diameter!) oak!:thumbup:

Robinia is the way to go but not many stock it

Try Jacksons fencing in Ashford or Bath- they deliver Nationwide and use Robinia which is then treated like their softwood I think to give it the same colour.

It's used in their H section posts (almost certain) but check

They are on the web too

Could someone with patience educate me here please? Robinia fenceposts; does it resist rot by chance? What's the crack with it?

Thanks,

Jon

Someone I know has patience, she's called wikipedia and she'll tell you the following.:

Flavonoids content

Black locust contains flavone glycosides characterised by spectroscopic and chemical methods as the 7-O-β-d-glucuronopyranosyl-(1 → 2)[α-l-rhamnopyranosyl-(1 → 6)]-β-d-glucopyranosides of acacetin (5,7-dihydroxy-4′-methoxyflavone), apigenin (5,7,4′-trihydroxyflavone), diosmetin (5,7,3′-trihydroxy-4′-methoxyflavone) and luteolin (5,7,3′,4′-tetrahydroxyflavone).

and also.....

The wood is extremely hard, resistant to rot and durable, making it prized for furniture, flooring, panelling, fence posts and small watercraft. As a young man, Abraham Lincoln spent much of his time splitting rails and fence posts from black locust logs. Flavonoids in the heartwood allow the wood to last over 100 years in soil.[6] In the Netherlands and some other parts of Europe, black locust is one of the most rot-resistant local tree, and projects have started to limit the use of tropical wood by promoting this tree and creating plantations. It is one of the heaviest and hardest woods in North America.

I've just come back from a shearing tour of the Netherlands, and inspected a stockwire fence in very wet soil mthat I had placed about 20 years ago, using 2nd hand Robinia posts that were at least ten years old then. If hit with a hammer, they still have that "metallic ring". The sapwood is justabout all gone, but the heartwood is untouched by time.

Black locust contains flavone glycosides characterised by spectroscopic and chemical methods as the 7-O-β-d-glucuronopyranosyl-(1 → 2)[α-l-rhamnopyranosyl-(1 → 6)]-β-d-glucopyranosides of acacetin (5,7-dihydroxy-4′-methoxyflavone), apigenin (5,7,4′-trihydroxyflavone), diosmetin (5,7,3′-trihydroxy-4′-methoxyflavone) and luteolin (5,7,3′,4′-tetrahydroxyflavone).

Well, why didn't you say so?!

Seriously, thanks for that: I had no idea. Viva A/T!

Someone I know has patience, she's called wikipedia and she'll tell you the following.:

Flavonoids content

and also.....

The wood is extremely hard, resistant to rot and durable, making it prized for furniture, flooring, panelling, fence posts and small watercraft. As a young man, Abraham Lincoln spent much of his time splitting rails and fence posts from black locust logs. Flavonoids in the heartwood allow the wood to last over 100 years in soil.[6] In the Netherlands and some other parts of Europe, black locust is one of the most rot-resistant local tree, and projects have started to limit the use of tropical wood by promoting this tree and creating plantations. It is one of the heaviest and hardest woods in North America.

I've just come back from a shearing tour of the Netherlands, and inspected a stockwire fence in very wet soil mthat I had placed about 20 years ago, using 2nd hand Robinia posts that were at least ten years old then. If hit with a hammer, they still have that "metallic ring". The sapwood is justabout all gone, but the heartwood is untouched by time.

did you try Jacksons BTW

The sapwood is justabout all gone, but the heartwood is untouched by time.

And another benefit of Robinia over oak posts is that they have very little sapwood to begin with (typically less than half an inch).

But one big problem is driving in nails due to the very hard heartwood. Virtually impossible unless you use hardened steel nails or pre-drill. Allow extra time when quoting!