Putting Venison on the Tables of Europe

Mike Hill

Loved that Mike! That guy was an amazing shot.:thumbup1: I was brought up on NZ videos of hunting, my dad used to get them sent over from relatives.

Have you been to the Rocking Ropes in Taupo?, the guy that runs it made his money doing the above, his chopper is on a stand at the front with a big net over a stag, its cracking:001_smile:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved that Mike! That guy was an amazing shot.:thumbup1: I was brought up on NZ videos of hunting, my dad used to get them sent over from relatives.

Have you been to the Rocking Ropes in Taupo?, the guy that runs it made his money doing the above, his chopper is on a stand at the front with a big net over a stag, its cracking:001_smile:

I lived in Taupo for a couple of years.The ropes course was there then,but the Museum was pretty small and mainly a Tourist shop.There are some great Books and DVD's about the Venison Recovery industry in the late 70's and 80's.

My dad had dozens of them, there are some cracking ones of the first stalkers after the war, living for months out in the sticks, shooting deer and goats, then the make shift run ways and planes, then onto the choppers. Legends!!!

Oh and the possum trappers, i remember 1 with a woman who had her favourite claw hammer for the final blow lol

Scan those pictures,he must be eager to share them.

I only see him once a year on a hind cull in the north of Scotland these days, he isn't online but I'll dig out his number and try and get him to post them to me. He's really funny. He doesn't talk much, but what he says is worth listening too. He never really talked about Africa/NZ/British Columbia until I was round his house picking up a box of bullets and saw all these pictures on the wall, took a fair lot of prompting to get him to spill the beans. Good guy though.

To me the shooting exhibited in that video is shocking. Taking head/neck shots at moving animals from a helicopter is hugely inhumane.

I've neck shot deer, but never head shot anything other than in a "coupe de grace" situation, so lets think about neck shooting.

If the bullet misses the vertebrae and goes through windpipe and oesophagus can often show no visible signs of a hit as far as animal reaction is concerned. They will often run off almost as normal leading the shooter to believe that they had a clean miss, I imagine that its pretty hard to see that from a moving helicopter. Such an animal would take quite some time to die unable to eat or breathe properly, or drown in it's own blood, how lovely. A shot that hits the spinous processes but not sever the spinal cord can drop the animal on the spot giving the impression of a good solid neck shot. Such animals can get up again and run away to die a slow and pretty damn horrible death. In my experience all ear movement of a neck shot deer would indicate that the animal is still in the land of the living. Don't give me that head/neck shots are either a clean miss or dead hit, we are all a little more grown up than that.

If I supply head shot deer to a gamedealer here I will get an extra 30/40p per pound. Is it really worth it?

I think taking Head Shots is a bit like one handing a Saw.There will always be to very different points of veiw,at the end of the day its up to the user of the Tool.

If that saw is an 880 without a chainbreak, I agree :001_tt2:

Nah, your right chief. I know blokes who can do it all day long, but I still don't like it.