That needle in the haystack

Treegeek

I'm investing in some equipment i have the smaller stuff covered ie saws,blower, hedge cutter, lowering kit etc now i am looking for a chipper(the needle) the problem is my very small budget i will be selling my project car to fund the chipper and will have between 2-3k to spend.

This rules me out of my first choice and second even thrid so am looking at small chippers things like the v-twin petrol powered timberwolf and to be honest thats about my knowledge of smaller chippers can any who shed some light on these wee beastie's ????

I have spoted some possible bargains on ebay but what with so many scams and old dogs on there, i dont want to waste my cash.

PS this machine will be a weekend pj tools this may have an influence on what machine is suitable any advice very greatfull.

I loved my little wolf the 125, with the old diesel rugerini engine, they stopped production as too little demand, it was the best small chipper out there. I would buy one tommorow if they re made it for the exact same PJ job scenario you want one for!

the p[etrol one will cost an arm and a leg to run, and only has a top feed roller whereas the diesel had two.

I would like a demo of it before i do buy one of those petrol ones but sure it will be good.

Use your 2/3k to secure finance against a new 125timberwolf. We have one at work, its great, twin feed rollers and it dosnt cost anymore to run than a diesel tbh. Because it was bought new it came with 2years free warrenty, so thats 2years trouble free ownership in theory...

This toy will be a weekend wonder so not keen to go nuts on buying a new jobbie ( if i was buying new my loyalties lie else where with regard to manufacturer tbh )

Very frustrated as i have missed a couple of machines lack of balls to comitte before seeing have seen a greenmech goning for around my budget dont know much about them to be honest any who have experiance ???? of them good? bad?

old vermeer 620i and 625i, I just got one, quite a few guys on here have used them as first chippers on a low budget and i've read no real complaints, also now i own one i see that there realy isn't anything on them to go wrong, and what can is an easy fix with simple tools. They runa single roller, some are ptrol some are diesel. my petrol uses a reasonable amount of fuel, its cheap enough to run and chips at a reasonable pace. they can be had for £1500 upwards.

there are plenty of chippers out there for 3 grand ,some better than others ,i guess at that money you cant afford to be very picky on what you buy ,but dont let that stand in your way ,my first one was worthless ,try and find one that you are able to get parts easy for i would say