Chickens!!

Climber85

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with drinkers you will be suprised how much water hens drink per day, that size youve got in the pen for 2 hens will need water changing and refilling daily, as very often the bottom can be swilled out but it gets contaminated with poo and feathers etc, as hens arent bothered where they go, same with food, to eliminate boredom try feeding layers pellets adhoc in during the day and mixed corn by hand broadcast in the afternoon, as corn can fill them up without giving a balanced diet, also at this time of year hang bows of nettles from the pen and brussell sticks etc from string helps give them something to peck at.

joy

p.s. good looking chuck house

if i wanted to be a knowitall which im not! use the term hens and not chickens, as hens are the birds and chickens is the meat that you eat from them - just being an arse there!

Edited by Joy Yeomans
being a know it all

Nice chook house im sure the girls will love it,I have kept allsorts of poultry over the year's as other's mentioned fox proof it and rodent proof the secod rat's know there is a food source they will be around.I would have to add the bigger and better qaulity the chip you can use the better for the same reason previous poster mentioned due to composting quickly...... as its breaking down the chip can release spores wich can cause respiratory issues :)

Nice Job, do they have names yet?, must have names so they can be properly introduced to billys chickens!. Have a nice weekend.

easy-lift guy.

Never heard the term 'billy chickens' before or being formally introduced :blushing: I like the term - is it widely used?

Just cocks and hens over this side of the pond, with some cockerals known to 'cover ' farm yard ducks:sneaky2:

Like the hen house, why not go to C4 for 'grand designed hen houses, then we can see how you made it and all the problems with contractors.

Just a word of caution, beware the fox, well you didn’t need telling that did you but also beware the Rainford.

You will come out one morning and find he has painted it red and bolted that to the back of a jap pickup:001_tt2::laugh1:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/arb-trucks/7896-arbtalkers-arbtrucks-58.html

nearly choked on my pizza haha:lol:

Smart chicken shed! Love the colour - do you live in an area of outstanding natural beauty and the colour was a pre-requisite in the planning application? It looks like National Trust green!:thumbup:

Nice looking chicken house but its not advised to have felt on the roof. Its down to "red mite" which will live under the felt and come out at night and feast off the blood of the chickens! If you notice the chickens are stopping to lay or find red spots on the eggs, this may be the problem. Poultry Shield is a liquid used to get rid of them but if you do get them, your roof will need changing for tongue and groove / corrugated plastic etc.

I've been very lucky and have avoided it so far... thats me jinxed now!!