Is my trusted 044 Dead?

Mac McLennan

I have had my O44 for about seven years. It will not start and I noticed the high adj screw had sheered off in the carb.

So I replaced the carb with a new one (ooch) opened the screws a full turn as Stihl recommend....Tried to flash her up and nothing.:scared1:

It has fresh fuel which is used in all my other saws.

It has good compression.

Piston rings look ok.

There is a spark.

I have tried the fuel straight into the spark plug hole and warmed the spark plug.

fuel pipes look good.

On/off contacts clean and in place.

Swapped the coil on a working 026 (which looks the same?)and tried that.

And still she appears to have passed away.

Any chainsaw paramedics out there got any ideas.

If you had to replace it ....what would you buy.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only screw the jets out 3/4 turn.

If there's a spark it should at least crack and fire then stop after putting a drop in the spark plug hole.

Could be it has flooded the crankcase.

Make sure chain break is on, start procedure as normal, then if it doesn't fire stand it so the exhaust is facing downhill. ie stood on it's bar tip, hold securely and pull several times, it should then clear the crankcase and fire if it has flooded badly.

Have you changed the fuel filter? Sound like maybe dodgy ignition especially as you have poured fuel straight into the cylinder, I normally pour fuel into the carb, you may have a spark but it may not be sufficient to run the saw, have you tried a different plug? Check all the wiring, it may be earthing on something.

I have one about the same age, best saw ever. It had soem issues so I took it to my Stihl/TW etc dealer. They said it was not worth fixing, they then did me a genuinly great deal on a ms460 which I like but I miss my old 044.

I've recently had two dead 020's reserected by a bloke who tinkers in his shed, but is extremely experienced with stihl saws. Another stihl dealer in these parts actually take all of their stuff to him! I told him about the 044 and I took it to him in its cardboard coffin.

He's confident it will be fine. We'll see, fingers crossed!

working on a bank holiday..?..he sounds like a keeper. We have an 020 that we can't get to run properly, any chance of hooking us up with his details mate? There isn't anyone round here.

I'm going to speak to him later, I'll ask. I'm not sure how much work he wants. He sells firewood, does some forwarding, fencing etc. and fixes saws.

If he would accept saws in the post then he could get a lot of work. He orders parts through the nearby stihl dealer that he works for, then I pay them for the parts so I reclaim the vat and only pay him for labour, folding!

My two 020's cost £56.00 total inc parts, that for both, not each, one nearly got thrown in the skip and the other was heading for the parts dept.