Domestic use training

marka

Hi all,

I have lurked here for a while, learning from the experts plucking up courage to show my head above the parapet. Hopefully you will be nice to this home user!

I recently bought a small Husky saw just to do logs for the fire. Though I've survived using small chainsaws for a few years, this is the first one of my own, and I'm now using it a good deal more than before.

Being keen to not kill myself I thought it would be a good idea to look into training to get rid of the bad habits, teach me the safe way of working and (almost) equally importantly to learn how to maintain the saw. (It's the first small petrol engine I'm responsible for.) I know a CS30 is probably the way to go, but as I don't need a ticket for working, is there a cheaper / better way of doing things?

I live on the wirral if it makes any difference.

Thanks for reading,

--

Mark.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Marka,

Thanks for signing up. Good to hear you are taking it seriously and appreciate the risks. I hope you are wearing the appropriate PPE also?

The CS training and assessments are done seperately, im sure you could probably skip the assessment part if you have no need for tickets...i think these can be pair for seperately, someone else will confirm

I think this is the perfect oppertunity for you guys to start up the 'Weekend Warrior ' club. :thumbup1:

I have loads of guys like yourselfs that i give wood to, i have always taken the time to show them how to sharpen and give them a few tips but NEVER before i make them go and get some safety trousers, gloves and a hat.

ESPECIALLY the trousers!!!!!!

If you got a group together then you could find a bit of woodland to work and bring a trainer in for a few days. Job done.:thumbup1:

Make sure (as above) you have trousers, ear/eye protection (the chances of something dropping on your head are small) and foot gear (either proper boots or the gaiters) AND WEAR THEM.

As far as courses go I am useless, unless you do the CS30 training but dont bother with the exam, I know you can do that.

All the best,

Sam

Edited by Sam Thompson

I know a few colleges (Chicester college for one) do a domestic chainsaw course. Covering safe use,maintenance and PPE. Much cheaper than the CS30 course and i don't think it has the legal stuff in it. Try ringing your local college to see if they do one.