walnut problem

the verminator

i saw 4 walnuts in a row today that all had a problem, but i havent got much of an idea about diseases :blushing: the leaves tips are turning balck and are shriviling up, it appears this is happening limb by limb. the only thing i can think of is chemicals, as just behind them is where a farm cleans out is sprayers. sorry i dont have any photos, i will get some next time i am that way on

so, any ideas?

Have you seen these over a period of time and it's progressing, or is it a one-off sighting? Are the branches affected randomly placed, or all on the same side, above or below a certain height?

If it's height-dependent it's probably frost damage. There was a late frost that got a lot of them. If it's on the side of the farm sprayers I'd suspect chemical burn. If it's all along the most exposed side I'd expect drying winds to be the cause. If it's totally at random then more info needed!

Alec

my walnut tree s leaves have gone black and crispy, this happened a few days after we had unusual temperatures one evening got down to -1 then +6 at about 6am then +21 by 9 in the morning , a local fruit grower was on the local news talking about it he has lost most of the crop on his plum trees

thanks for the replys. agg, iv only just noticed it as iv not been that way for a month or so. the branches seem to be more affected on the lower limbs, although the odd limb higher up is affected. its not on the farm side, that i can see, and the side its on is sheltered. there are some other trees near by in more exposed positions that look fine

• 2 weeks later...

All my walnut & ash trees were similarly affected after the hard frost in the early hours of Tuesday, 10th May. They all lost this seasons growth. The ash are just starting to shoot again but there is no movement at all yet in the walnuts. Hibiscus was also hit but all the other stuff; sycamore, birch, thorn etc was fine.

All my walnut & ash trees were similarly affected after the hard frost in the early hours of Tuesday, 10th May. They all lost this seasons growth. The ash are just starting to shoot again but there is no movement at all yet in the walnuts. Hibiscus was also hit but all the other stuff; sycamore, birch, thorn etc was fine.

Yes, we had the same just over the border into Essex - hit the walnuts (hence my original post), sumach and sweet chestnut. The chestnut leaves hung on but are ragged around the edges, the walnuts are just budding up again and I'm waiting to see what the sumachs do.

Alec