deposits for large jobs

pward

Hey all

Just to get peoples thoughts on deposits for large jobs, its to cover my backl, it is for when I price a job over £500, and when they agree on my quote, the depost comes off the bill. Is this more hassel or worth doing????

Cheers

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never done that before, I do sometimes think about it when a client asks you to quote for felling a tree on a house that they are thinking to buy. The only time I've done these "quotes" for people I've never got the work. I think, like yourself next time if it for a proposed house purchase a charge for the quote, re-fundable on accepting the quote could be the way to go.

It's difficult because essentially all you are supplying is labour, it's not like a builder/landscaper who has to outlay £'s before they get in site for materials etc etc.

Maybe judge clients on an individual basis and try to get a feel for them?

Whats the point, we are pretty much a llabour only trade, so you lose nothing but profit if they decide not to use you. IMO asking for money up front for tree work would just make you seem like a pushy traveller type.

Here in the states I have not heard of such a policy for tree work on it's own. When tree work is part of the bid or quote in conjunction with landscape work, including replacement of trees and shrubs, etc. Yes a deposit of 1/3 to 1/2 for the total job cost. I to wanted to cover my back. Good Hunting!

Whats the point, we are pretty much a llabour only trade, so you lose nothing but profit if they decide not to use you. IMO asking for money up front for tree work would just make you seem like a pushy traveller type.

What about chippers, vehicles, equipement, fuel, insurance, pensions,mortgages,rent,electricity,gas,spares, phone, internet, paper, pens,staplers,furniture holidays, sick days, pensions the list is endless. These all need payed for.:001_rolleyes:

So many Small businesses use their own rules based on their own morals.

Tescos dont wait for you to call them up to say the milk was nice in their cereal before they send you a bill. They have written on the side telling you what it does, and what is in it, then they charge you, you pay and if it is un satisfactory you have to go down a route of complaint.:001_smile:

It is up to the company representative to make everything clear to the customer and make sure the picture in each others heads of what the out come is going to be is the same and follow it through. Taking a deposit or an advance is not un professional as long as it is done professionally.

Just because there are some unruley folk out there it doesnt mean you should run your own business in fear of being tarred with the same brush, it isnt the payment that is usually at fault with the cowboys, its the workmanship and quality of their job:sneaky2:

Yeah but you need all that stuff anway for most job's, unlike a landscaping job where you'd be buying 100 tons of top soil, 30 new tree's, a few hundred bricks and everything in between whichwould more than likely not be needed for anothe rjob for ages. all our kit is used pretty much everyday so its not the same imo. However if you can get away with locking people down with a deposit, why not at least you know you have the job.