finishing wood

ecolojim

Thought id best start a seperate topic for this one.

Im going to be looking for a real rich yet not too OTT finish on this oak. something to really bring out the grain. Im told waxes are the way to go? any suggestions gratefully received.

Now, Im struggling for pieces of good, stable oak to complete the rest of the table's legs, frame etc and as such will probably have to use a dissimilar wood, even in the short term before making an oak frame and dropping the top onto it in the future...

What methods do I have at my disposal to make dissimilar woods, more similar in appearance. Will the wax go some way toward this? perhaps a wood stain? Ive been watching 'the salvager' on quest and he does a lot with dissimilar timbers and applies a watered down stain with a spray gun and cloth and regardless of what you think of his work, it seems to have the desired effect

thanks again

Jim

Thanks, his work is very impressive indeed!

Change of plans re legs etc means I can make it all in oak after all.

How is best to finish oak? Any recommendations on waxes etc. Needs to stay quite light to match other woodwork but not at the expense of some depth to the grain if possible

Jim

As above danish oil is easy to apply and hardwearing.

Also you can sand it with a fine paper afterwards (240 +) and apply a wax over the top if you want a wax finish. Both will look good.

With a wax you need to seal the wood first. Danish oil will work or you can put on a dedicated sanding sealer.

Now does anyone know of an outdoor clear oil or treatment that lasts?! I've looked everywhere and tried a lot of things and no clear treatments seem to last outside :sneaky2:

Oak is usually quite open grain - if you like this effect then I would suggest an oil finish. Danish oil is good and cheap. Tung oil is very good and less cheap (but you would only need a small bottle from your local Liberon stockists). These will leave it looking 'wet'.

If you want to leave the surface smoother, a wax finish is the way to go. This will also go into any residual gap along the joint (thinking of your other thread...) I would use a paste wax such as Black Bison and pick the lightest colour you can get if you want it to stay pale. A wax finish needs several light coats rather than one thick one. Put it on and buff it up, just like furniture polish.

Just don't use anything with silicone in it. It will make the finish look flat and dead, and you'll never get it off again!

Alec

Thanks guys, so am I understanding that I can oil it and then if I wanted to wax it, the option is still open to me as the oil has acted as a sealer already?

I see I can get Danish oil from screwfix for convenience so I'm going to try that first anyway. Sounds like it's going to give a more natural finish

Now does anyone know of an outdoor clear oil or treatment that lasts?! I've looked everywhere and tried a lot of things and no clear treatments seem to last outside :sneaky2:

Have you tried Endeavour oil?

Alec

Danish oil is good but I would only use it outside as it does have a distinct smell especially indoors, just my opinion tho some people love it and some hate it. Wax is good but can get expensive depending on size of project.

I use a beeswax\raw linseed and turpintine and mix into a paste or instead of beeswax a carnuba wax which is very hardwearing.