Hamadryads bookclub "The Art and Science of Practical Rigging"

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought this book las tweek and have read it a few times. To be brutally honest i was alittle disappointed with it, with the exception of a few little bits i'd seen and done all of it before and it wasn't hard to work out on my own. the fishing rod technique could be very useful inthe right situation though. However nearly all of the really complex compound rigging shown in it is all but useless for commercial tree work except in extremely unusual circumstances, theres almost always a faster way which is why we never see it. I might have been expecting a bit much from it but i thought there might be some real good techniques inthere for everyday stuff which i might have overlooked but there were not.

the phsyics section going over moments and setting up mechaniical advantage systems was a good read helping the understanding of where the loads are spread through the system and such, and the bending moments vectors etc etc. thats good to know when planning work in tree's of suspect stability.

Overall not a bad book but not quite what i was expecting, if you've already done a fair bit of rigging it's mostly revision with the odd usful bit of info, but for a brand new climber it would be an invaluable resource.

I bought this book las tweek and have read it a few times. To be brutally honest i was alittle disappointed with it, with the exception of a few little bits i'd seen and done all of it before and it wasn't hard to work out on my own. the fishing rod technique could be very useful inthe right situation though. However nearly all of the really complex compound rigging shown in it is all but useless for commercial tree work except in extremely unusual circumstances, theres almost always a faster way which is why we never see it. I might have been expecting a bit much from it but i thought there might be some real good techniques inthere for everyday stuff which i might have overlooked but there were not.

the phsyics section going over moments and setting up mechaniical advantage systems was a good read helping the understanding of where the loads are spread through the system and such, and the bending moments vectors etc etc. thats good to know when planning work in tree's of suspect stability.

Overall not a bad book but not quite what i was expecting, if you've already done a fair bit of rigging it's mostly revision with the odd usful bit of info, but for a brand new climber it would be an invaluable resource.

I think that is a fair and honest assessment of the book, from the perspective of a seasoned treeworker.

However, the intention is to provide those with less experience of technicalities the oportunity to see this book and maybe adapt to methods they otherwise may not have appreciated.

Thanks, was kind of half expecting to get flamed for that! Nice that it makes me sound experienced too:laugh1:.

Time to find some books on decay and fungus i keep getting asked to climb right dody dead tree's with brackets on and i'd quite like to know how they've affected the tree's strength to adapt my working style to be as safe as possible, at th emoment i just try to be sensible and light footed.

Edited by Billy