Metal Detecting

Pat Ferrett

Years ago, a lad who worked for me as a labourer, was out in the night illegally on farmers fields and had jam jars full of old coins and stuff. I've tried it on the beach and found a tin foil pie dish and a £1 coin!:blushing:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a garret :) time flies when your out there hours seem to just pass when your looking for stuff i look forward to the day im lucky enough to find a roman coin hoard ;) im yet to detect on the beach though ,its on the agenda for this summer :)

The Garrets are a great machine for the beach as long as you stay of the wet sand :thumbup1:

When I was a lad I had a Cscope (or something like that), you boys have me thinking about another………So, cheap as possible for an entry level, what say you Make and Model????

Andy

You could get a Garret ace for around £100. A C-scope 3cmx for £200 ish, for around £400 a Minelab Sovereign Gt. any of those are good machines for the money, and can be used on the land aswell as the beach

Mine is a garret gti 1500 which has the salt elimination so I guess that is for beach use but lord knows how I will work out how to set it right lol my brother got hiself a new minelab I bought his old one in the hope I may find somthing on our plot one day being that we are in the middle of a roman village :001_smile:I was going to ask a few farmers I know if I could take it over their ground freshly ploughed fields look much more appealing than digging through roots:biggrin:

Definitely looked like a metal detector. But then drains are usually made of ceramics, especially Victorian ones, er, and not metal. Interesting.

Moosie

We had to dig the neighbours garden to fix a collapsed drain. The drain guy had a thing that looked exactly like a metal detector but he said it only picked up a signal from the camera thing in the drain. The drains can be a several feet down and a metal detector wouldn’t find it but if it got deep enough it would probably get any number of old cast iron gas pipes and god else knows what else.

He marked the spot, we dug and came down on the collapsed drain to the inch.