Toyota Dyna - Big enough?

Fahrenheit

Looking at new truck to deliver my logs. Thinking of a Toyota Dyna and splitting the back into 3 and installing plywood sides to increase height so each bay takes approx 1.2 cubic metres.

Has anyone else done this?

I reckon the sides shouldn't need to be too high as a level fill would be approx 1.9 cubic metres so only need to fit another 1.7 cube in there. If i doubled the height of the sides from the original height it should fit quite comfortably?

The reason i fancy a Dyna is because they're pretty slim and will fit in everyone's driveways.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated. Is there much difference between the Dyna, Cabstar and Izuzu's?

I have gone for a LT35 cab/chassis for the same reasons, but going for a drop side pick up body with a 1ton hiab. I will get 3 1m3 bags on the back no worries and still have space for kindling sacks etc.

Only think i would question is why 1.2m3 bays and not just a cubic meter?

I'm going for 1.2m cubed bays at the mo as i'm buying my wood pre-processed and seasoned and selling it on and the JCB that it's loaded with holds 1.2m cubed so it was to keep things simple.

Later on in the year i'll buy a processor and get some wood in and do it myself so it won't really matter what volume.

Be aware that these small Jap trucks are VERY dear to maintain. I was over a Fuelwood in Warwick last week, their Canter needed a new fuel injector, £1500, only avail from the dealer. Only done 80,000 miles.

I would recommend that you all consider buying mainstream Transits etc, dont think though there is a 3 tonner at present. I ran a fleet of 8 or 9 small Fords and Vauxhall vans for over 20 years, ran them all to over 300,000 miles, only ever lost 2 engines ( plastic timing belt pulleys failed after 13 months) and still as economical at 300,000 as they were at 50,000.

At least with common trucks you can possibly source bits from breakers etc.

A

Ive got a mitsubishi canter 3.5 tonne, 6ft sides and it holds 10 m3, and its mint for the job, are you just delivering logs? Why not just get an ifor williams tipping trailer with mesh sides and small hi-ab, thats what I would do

10 cu metres of loose logs weighs 4000kg when dry . I would have thought a 3.5 tonne gross mit would carry 1600kg.

There's tonns of parts available on ebay for the Nissan Cabstars....they're a pretty common van. Anyone know whether they're any worse than the Dyna?

It's the size that appeals to me with these trucks.....the Transits are a bit wide.

When I looked at the two trucks the Dyna carried alot less payload.