self tending Helical hitch

DrewB

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey bro, i still cant go past the vt and hc. i keep switching from ap and op and using tachyon. The helical is a damn good knot and i think it would work really well with the small pinto,not so with the hc as its single legged. ive tried the spiderjack but tbh im not really wanting to change from hitch cord as i love the versatility.

Never tried the Helical. Any good? (I have pulleys!).

What's your preference at the minute Drew? My love/hate thing with the VT continues, but I'm on a Knut at the mo. Tried the Spiderjack2 with Ross last week and loved it for quick ascent, but didn't work with it.

I like it but dont use it so much these days. It easier to tie and get right than a VT. It can be a bit dodgy if too loose, so not for the faint hearted.

The good point is that the leg can be long as the pulley is under the knot so there is no sit back, and then also you can push it up the rope like a prussik then if you want to, or self advance like a VT.

One problem is that it wears at pretty much one point (the top coil) so generates a lot of heat, will either burn through quick or scorch the rope if using OP or AP. The stuff in my picture can get destroyed in one comp climb! I have had to hide the results from judge in the past! But pre HC it was a good set up, I think the VT is best overall.

Yeah I find it does, the hitch only sits back maybe 1 inch and never sits below my spliced eye- pretty sure I got the idea from DsMC ho used it when not using a spliced rope. I've found it limits the twisting in the rope too, I think this is because o the slight kink it causes before it runs into the hc but other friends have found it to make no difference. The vt always grabs as it doesn't get the chance to totally open up and juststay open. It takes a while together the hitch set so the ring stays sat inthe middle, but I've settled on this amount of wraps braids etc. Doesn't work with a long open vt as the ring just flops to the side.