Hedgerow trees

RobRainford

Got to get a plan together for a client who wants to replace his lleylandii hedge with something nicer. Its currently covering a security fence and behind that there is a school path and a new build estate.

There was the idea to plant some hedgerow trees and every 3rd tree plant a taller growing one to give the hedge different levels.

I had suggested planting golden upright yew as it needs less control, but it is slow growing, and expensive!

I've got a few ideas, could holm oak be managed into a hedge? He has one already and I think it would make a nice feature to the garden. It has to be evergreen to give the privacy.

I've attached a few pics showing the garden and the hedge. I think the scheme of planting small and large trees would really add to the garden if they were chosen well. Something like a sergeants rowan for it's autumn colour plus it wouldn't get too big, then a golden yew hedge underneath it would add some nice colours in!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303372417.161887.jpg.aec14d6ae6b089514268d0bb0ce68b71.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303372360.107553.jpg.1efe8900c01f19477d6412272cf8660c.jpg

Another vote for natives if possible :thumbup1:

How about copper beech with dog roses interplanted? Obviously, beech isn't evergreen but they will retain their leaves in the lower crown to help hide the fence during winter and the roses will provide interest with their contrasting flowers, winter hips and lots of food for wildlife.

I was just looking at copper beech on some sites. It would need to be evergreen because schools are open when it's got no leaves on! I would like to add colour and give a good level of variation. Holly would be a good hedge idea i reckon. Keeping with the nativeness of the garden

It's gonna be a long term project this one! Looking at some specimens from barchams their prices are more than I expected!

...and the right plants to suit the character of the area.

That's where I think natives will come in. There's sycamore, ash, beech, yew, Holly and birch in the garden. There's a holm oak in already. So I think a hedge version would look good. That or Holly.