Favorite Chipper

tractor10_0

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's another thread on here about old time tree surgeons. Go back twenty yrs and more than likely you would be stacking brash on a tranny or a landy trailer. Then we had Micheal D and his gravity feed 6" ARBOREATER £8k and the best thing since sliced bread,till I had a demo from Nick Rivett and his BANDIT....wow what a piece of kit but HOW MUCH...so I bought a 620 vermeer roller feed,smoking petrol engine for £2k...if engine knacked I could get a new one for a few hundred...lasted me 4 yrs and I sold it for £3k...then came the new Ram 6" for £6k..fantastic machine so I started selling them to my mates. Moved to a Mog and a farmi 10", still have the same set up today but a little newer. In between I got involved with Landforce and sold a few more to my mates. When they packed in I bought all the stock and parts. Not a bad machine for the money and there's lots of guys like them and a lot that hates them. Have used them all, love the TP and Sliesinger (can never spell that). Used the Greenmech and it did the job. Overall you spend your money and take a chance or go back to stacking brash on trailers.

I have found it's not always the machine, a lot of people tend to buy off the person who is selling. A bit of trust and help goes a long way.Any chipper is good,when it is working and any of them can and will break down. My advice, buy what you can afford, It's not what you sell it for that counts, it's what you pay for it.

We sharpen blades that come back to us on an over size valve grinder. Put the blade in the end of an electric motor and shuttle it back and forth in front of a spinning stone. Easy peasy. We also do sharpen flat blades for other machines as we are indeed an engineering company not an assembly company.

Round blade sharpeners are available just like flat/surface grinders. I am aware of a couple of people who have made their own sharpeners.

That didn't answer my question, what about the decrease in diameter of the sharpened blades leaving gaps between disc blades, allowing twigs and long fibres to escape?

Beg pardon, wasn't giving it my full attention.

To be honest, I've come across this argument before. Usually from those who have been to another stand at a trade show and listened to the bs from someone else, rather than talking to those that make them. Those stringy bits come about mainly from using blunt blade/shear bar more than the blades themself (and that applies to all makes). Yes, chip quality varies from make to make and from size to size. If you asked me for a hand fed machine for Bio Mass, I would say that our 220 produces the most consist chip for a powerfed roller in our range, whereas the smaller machines produce more irregular chips. But them what is a chipper really for? The vast majority of people I talk to are not really interested in chip quality but volume reduction. The want to process their brash quickly - our letter box openings mean less snedding cuts and the blades mean that they can be signifcantly cheaper and easier to run. I ran two of them for a total of 5 years and in that time I never bought anymore blades. Can you say that about other machines. Moreover, all my woodchips got sold. Donington Park cleared the yard one year for footpaths for one race meeting. The Nottingham School of Equitation had the outdoor menage done by us. Nowt wrong with those woodchips.

There's another thread on here about old time tree surgeons. Go back twenty yrs and more than likely you would be stacking brash on a tranny or a landy trailer. Then we had Micheal D and his gravity feed 6" ARBOREATER £8k and the best thing since sliced bread,till I had a demo from Nick Rivett and his BANDIT....wow what a piece of kit but HOW MUCH...so I bought a 620 vermeer roller feed,smoking petrol engine for £2k...if engine knacked I could get a new one for a few hundred...lasted me 4 yrs and I sold it for £3k...then came the new Ram 6" for £6k..fantastic machine so I started selling them to my mates. Moved to a Mog and a farmi 10", still have the same set up today but a little newer. In between I got involved with Landforce and sold a few more to my mates. When they packed in I bought all the stock and parts. Not a bad machine for the money and there's lots of guys like them and a lot that hates them. Have used them all, love the TP and Sliesinger (can never spell that). Used the Greenmech and it did the job. Overall you spend your money and take a chance or go back to stacking brash on trailers.

I have found it's not always the machine, a lot of people tend to buy off the person who is selling. A bit of trust and help goes a long way.Any chipper is good,when it is working and any of them can and will break down. My advice, buy what you can afford, It's not what you sell it for that counts, it's what you pay for it.

Our engineer has a 2005 Landforce (not sure of model but looks like a 6" and has a side chute similar to the green mech) with a knackered engine but good condition, what would this machine be worth with a new refubed engine?

That didn't answer my question, what about the decrease in diameter of the sharpened blades leaving gaps between disc blades, allowing twigs and long fibres to escape?

The gaps shouldnt matter, because the discs are staggered and cut across the bed knife at an angle, therefore however small the knives get (up to the wear limits) there will in practice be no portion of the cutting area not covered by a disc.

Cant really think of a better way of explaining it, its a very visual thing!

i used to think the same as you buzzsurgeon,that if you reduce the size of a circular blade you widen the gap and let more crap jam in there. but as peter explained if kept sharp because they are staggered they work fine.

As for favourite chipper,weve only ever owned one so cant really comment,the one we do own is a 2001 greenmech 202 weve mentained it well and find CBL in bristol very helpful and parts next day.

Our engineer has a 2005 Landforce (not sure of model but looks like a 6" and has a side chute similar to the green mech) with a knackered engine but good condition, what would this machine be worth with a new refubed engine?

If it's a 05 machine it is probably a 200 duo,8" chipper with the 40 hp Deutz.They stopped making the 6" duo in 2004. very unusual for the engine to pack in. There is a company near preston that will referb the engine for around a grand. As to the value, should be around £6k -£9k but would think most buyers would be worried about the rest of the machine's condition once they heard about the engine.

If it's a 05 machine it is probably a 200 duo,8" chipper with the 40 hp Deutz.They stopped making the 6" duo in 2004. very unusual for the engine to pack in. There is a company near preston that will referb the engine for around a grand. As to the value, should be around £6k -£9k but would think most buyers would be worried about the rest of the machine's condition once they heard about the engine.

It sounds like the engine gave up due to user error not wear, It may be worth looking at as he only paid £2.5k for it. I'd never heard of the machine before - looked like an imitation Green Mech!!

It sounds like the engine gave up due to user error not wear, It may be worth looking at as he only paid £2.5k for it. I'd never heard of the machine before - looked like an imitation Green Mech!!

If thats all he paid, it could be a 135 duo with the 2cyl 27hp,(made in 2004 but sold in 2005) was the egine knacked when he bought it?