Old chains??

treemeup

i may be wrong but the minute it's heated it changes its temper.../ hardness its the cooling process that you add carbon to the steel etc etc, ??

yeah i think youre right but the quality of steel remains, it would then be down to the person to give it the desired tempur.... i think?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont think H&S exists out there:001_tongue:

I just came back from 5 years staying and working in Italy and i can tell you it doesnt exist! Some of the things i have seen people do there would scare the pants off you and turn your hair grey... and thats just while driving on the roads! I worked with a guy that thought you had to fully rev the saw while taking it out of the cut, yes you heard right taking it out! when i saw him do this (while 15 to 20 meters up during a dismantle) and questioned him about why he did it, he said he read it in the instruction manual of the saw :confused1:

A couple of days later i saved his life when he was starting the felling cut on a very large piece of timber (again on a dismantle) while he was still attached to it with his side strop! And this is from one that actually did his dismantling course! ummm yea that was also the only course he had done... go figure :confused1:

Needless to say Italy has some problems with accidents at work :thumbdown:

old chains do make a lovely pattern when melted down into knife blades, similar effect of damascus steel, where the steel is folded repetedly by the knife maker to improve the quality of the steel. you may find a few people on here that may be able to put your old chains to good use: BritishBlades - Home some very skilled knife makers on there :)

old chains do make a lovely pattern when melted down into knife blades, similar effect of damascus steel, where the steel is folded repetedly by the knife maker to improve the quality of the steel. you may find a few people on here that may be able to put your old chains to good use: BritishBlades - Home some very skilled knife makers on there :)

This might be pedantic but the chains aren’t melted they are forged, forge welding to be precise.

The steel in the cutters is different to the steel in the strap and drive links.

The forging and folding under heat unifies the dissimilar steels without mixing them which giver the patternation the smith desires.