Self employed rates?

sihart100

In response to the OP, £80-£200 as I see it.

I wouldnt compare yourself to the groundie asking for £120.

AN BEFORE anyone has a grumble I'm not looking down on groundies here, I'm saying what people ask for is no way in comparison to what they are worth paying.

A good groundie is worth his/her weight in gold, that is a fact.

I wouldnt get paid if I didnt remove loads of brash/timber out of the customers garden, a good groundie will make sure it happens quick and smoothly.

Everyone wants to get the best price they can, and no one can blame them.

Its your local/working market that will determine the rates you can get.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree 18stoner, but like i've already said a competent groundsman working direct is well worth 80-90 a day.

I was referring to the post when you said £50-60 MAX for a groundy.

Cheers for the reply though, its always nice to hear why people think they are worth the money, but groundies are VERY underrated IMO.

Reading through the various posts in this thread I believe people are getting confused between a "groundy" and someone who drags brash!

A "groundy" will be the most qualified guy on site and probably RUN the site!

He will be able to climb, rescue, saw, chip, drag, liase, run ropes, repair/service saws, drive, see off TO, brew tea and even make out an invoice if needed.

Someone dragging brash and feeding the chipper will, well, drag brash and feed the chipper.

Big difference between the two!

As for the climber, well, he climbs!

Reading through the various posts in this thread I believe people are getting confused between a "groundy" and someone who drags brash!

A "groundy" will be the most qualified guy on site and probably RUN the site!

He will be able to climb, rescue, saw, chip, drag, liase, run ropes, repair/service saws, drive, see off TO, brew tea and even make out an invoice if needed.

Someone dragging brash and feeding the chipper will, well, drag brash and feed the chipper.

Big difference between the two!

As for the climber, well, he climbs!

Who is this magical, mystical creature?

My old man is an estate manager. He will pay a painter £120 a day, thats about average for him. And yet on here, there is lads with 10+ years on the tools, with their own kit, who are charging the same. I think we are all mad.

I'm not a nibbler, I'm forestry trained. But I've done a bit of arb work. And I fail to see where some climbers get their "holier than thou" attitudes from. Your job does not involve that much more than groundwork. But there you go, maybe its the "macho" image some that attracts a certain type of sherman tanker to the game. But I doubt that lot are the best climbers.

But hey ho, as an industry we are over worked and underpaid. And unless we all use a market forces approach, we won't change it :001_rolleyes:.