This is hard work!!

new_fella

doesnt sound like its a good time for arb workers! seeing all the vans riding around i assumed business must be good for everyone. im hoping to get into this as a career but it dont sound like a great time to move from my current job. it would explain why people aren't willing to hire new people, very understandable though.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had boom time for many years, people moving house and getting work done, sites being cleared for new building and people just feeling fairly well off, so there was loads of work, because of this lots of people set up.

Also far more people seem to have decided they want into the industry too, year ago it was a much smaller industry that few knew much about.

The amount of work available as shrunk just as the number in the industry has reached its highest ever, with others trying to join.

Over the next few years I think the industry will have to consolidate, may will leave as wages and profits are bound to fall and then we will hopefully end up with an industry of a sustainable size.

Well said, but don't forget all the lads leaving college and not getting a job so they set up themselves too.:thumbup1:

i wouldnt dream of setting up straight out of education, ideally i want to get a job with a good local (or not so local) firm and get taught the fundamentals of the job, havent done my cs31 yet (hopefully doing it in may) so getting taught some of the basics of felling, snedding etc would be ideal, plus ive always learnt more from experienced people than from doing lessons abd tests

i wouldnt dream of setting up straight out of education, ideally i want to get a job with a good local (or not so local) firm and get taught the fundamentals of the job, havent done my cs31 yet (hopefully doing it in may) so getting taught some of the basics of felling, snedding etc would be ideal, plus ive always learnt more from experienced people than from doing lessons abd tests

I know its not ideal as most have little, without sounding condescending 'Real work site experience'. But if you've trained for it and there is no other jobs around who wants to go work in an office like. Sometimes your hand is forced if you want to have a career.

yea ive been on arbjobs, id definitely go further afield, mostly the reply i get from possible employers is that they dont have have positions for someone with my level of experience, i.e none! i cant hold it against them but its that old cache 22 of how do you get the experience if no-one will give you the opportunity to get that experience. its a disheartening process but im fortunate enough to be in a full time job in the mean time so its not a matter of not being able to eat :)

yea ive been on arbjobs, id definitely go further afield, mostly the reply i get from possible employers is that they dont have have positions for someone with my level of experience, i.e none! i cant hold it against them but its that old cache 22 of how do you get the experience if no-one will give you the opportunity to get that experience. its a disheartening process but im fortunate enough to be in a full time job in the mean time so its not a matter of not being able to eat :)

Have you tried btcv and national trust volunteering? its a good way to get experience, it might be clearing scrub areas of rohdy's but its time on the saw. Also write a good cover letter with your application explaining that you understand you have less experience than some applying but you would really appreciate a chance to show them that you would be a good investment. I always used to sign off a covering letter i really appreciate you having the time to read through this.

it also doesn't help when firms around lower there prices so much as to swallow up the work either busy fools......

They may not be a foolish as you think, they may have enough wool on their backs (money in the bank from the good times) to be able to run at a loss untill they have seen off much of the completion and can then put their prices back up.

This is what some of the very big firms do.

ive not tried btcv but have applied for volunteer work through the essex wildlife trust, just waiting to hear back, volunteering would be a great way of getting some much needed experience! chainsaw experience is the main thing i need, the only experience ive had so far is doing the cs30 course. i have a covering letter but i may have to 'borrow' your sign off ;)

ive not tried btcv but have applied for volunteer work through the essex wildlife trust, just waiting to hear back, volunteering would be a great way of getting some much needed experience! chainsaw experience is the main thing i need, the only experience ive had so far is doing the cs30 course. i have a covering letter but i may have to 'borrow' your sign off ;)

You can use it as much as you like, people like it when someone understands that they might be reading through 20 odd applications. I know i did when i worked for a firm and we had 1 position and 17 applications.