The death of distance learning?

Amelanchier

Tony, if you want something bad enough you find a way. :001_smile:

Tony when i was 27 i bought my first house for £75k, it was over 20 years. I also borrowed £70k for equipement to be paid back in 4 years, then for a laugh i bought 3 other houses just as i was starting a family when i was 29.

It can all be done, it takes discipline and hard graft mate, winging doesnt help, thats what folk do that have been defeated before they start.:001_rolleyes:

Tony me or Tony him? :D

Thankfully, I'm finishing this year and looking forward to closing the books and forgetting everything after May!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bet your boss didn't factor that into his CPD budget or are you paying? At least with your course you get to see some faces! The online course is, how shall I put this, less involved in terms of some tutors time. Still the same money though :D

Just in case you missed the email Paul:

You will be aware that the Government is introducing new funding arrangements for English Higher Education in 2012. In response to these plans the University has today issued the following statement regarding its new tuition fee charges for new, full time UK and EU students beginning their courses at UCLan in autumn 2012.

Please note: the new fee levels do not apply to current students, those enrolling in September 2011 or international students.

The University of Central Lancashire announces tuition fees of £9,000 from autumn 2012

The University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) has announced plans to charge full time tuition fees of £9,000 for UK and EU students from autumn 2012, following a decision by the University’s board.

Malcolm McVicar, Vice-Chancellor, UCLan said: “We are committed to providing a superlative education that equips students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to be successful global citizens. This is only possible if we replace the lost state funding through fees.”

Malcolm McVicar continued: “We are proud of our world class facilities, extensive international partnerships and culture of combining academic excellence with innovative approaches and real world practicality. We must continue to invest in order to maintain and improve these opportunities for the students of today and tomorrow. Fee levels of £9,000 will allow us to do that and in the coming months the University will announce a comprehensive student package to ensure that all students, regardless of their background, can continue to benefit from the life changing opportunities a UCLan degree offers.”

UCLan is an ambitious and successful University committed to supporting regional economic growth, and to ensuring that UCLan students are real assets in the workplace. The University has an excellent track record of widening participation, and encouraging students from all walks of life to make the most of their potential. This will continue to be a top priority for UCLan.

Michael Palmer, President of UCLan’s Students’ Union said: “The Coalition Government has imposed a funding system on the sector that we do not believe is sustainable. It does not serve the interests of students or institutions. The reduction in UCLan’s teaching grant has left the University with no other option but to charge the full £9,000 fees to ensure that the excellent education and overall student experience delivered to students is not only secured but continues to develop. In this context we are fully supportive of the University’s decision. It is absolutely essential that UCLan puts in place an access agreement that will give students both choice and flexibility. We believe that the Students’ Union should be heavily involved in developing this package and we will hold UCLan to account when it comes to delivery.”

Malcolm McVicar concluded: “The new funding arrangements for English Higher Education from 2012 will mean that all universities will need to increasingly operate as dynamic and innovative businesses. We are well down that path and have already made efficiencies while maintaining quality and ensuring that we are able to offer real value from our degrees. UCLan is strong both academically and financially and so will be able to offer our students an enhanced and relevant student experience that sets them up to succeed on the world stage.”

I dont think the online course was worth 1200 a year let alone 9k!:lol:

i just edited :lol:

Ha. I agree - if you want it go and get it.

With this course in particular though, there was rarely more than 30 per year on it (and that was the first year before the numbers dropped off). I doubt there will be 10 at the new fee level and it'll probably get shelved. Which is a shame cos the people who will want to pay won't be able to 'cos it won't exist!

It is now beyond my reach, and I will commit myself to a life of learning without assistance, no change then!

I wont have a decent career, but i will still enjoy it, even if it means i get nowhere!

I am not winging stephen, there are somethings we cant have, i can aspire to them and dream, and even moan about the hardships, doesnt mean i am unhappy

so if i am just about to finish my first year of a 3 year FdSc at myerscough albeit online, how does that affect me?

i paid 1400 last year and presumably still owe another 1400 for both years left

but what if i want to do the 2 year add on to get my BSc, do the new fees apply even though its classed as part time?

On another note, i have so far found the course thoroughly enjoyable and have had plenty correspondence with my tutors, my marks have been good and i do hope to carry on!

so if i am just about to finish my first year of a 3 year FdSc at myerscough albeit online, how does that affect me?

i paid 1400 last year and presumably still owe another 1400 for both years left

but what if i want to do the 2 year add on to get my BSc, do the new fees apply even though its classed as part time?

On another note, i have so far found the course thoroughly enjoyable and have had plenty correspondence with my tutors, my marks have been good and i do hope to carry on!

till you ask difficult questions!:001_smile: