Another Home-made Rope Guide Thread

Liam88

I'm keen on making myself a new rope guide. I've made a rope guide in the past (it worked but it wasn't perfect) and always found it hard to find something that keeps the eye open for the pulley to sit in. There are many different ways:

-Eye splice with wire in the core

-Plastic tubing in a eye splice

-Using a large ring etc etc etc

Anyway, just been looking at the new 2010 ART rope guides and was thinking about the hollow rings they use for keeping the eye open. Its a great idea but the cost of buying this rare hollow ring must be high.

Then it struck me, what about normal rope thimbles? They're cheap and very easy to splice into the system.

Anybody tried making a rope guide with one?

What would the disadvantages be?

Cheers

59765a4eb9175_Typicalropethimble.jpg.f7e03d2cd5fd12cf6a21822111bc9e78.jpg

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

True.

Anybody come across anything else similar the thimbles used in the 2010 art rope guides?

And how do they compare to a flexible large spliced eye? (see my splicing attempts thread)

ropeguide2010_ring_500x500.jpg

60401d1301181923-my-splicing-attempts-pullerysaver_nick1.jpg

Edited by Liam88

A soft eye, (splice) with wire and heatshrink to stiffen it a bit is generally regarded as better then the hollow ring design.

But why?

Surely by using the RG as a choker on stems, rather that pulling it through tight unions, it won't get stuck (see pic from rope guide/saver thread).

My viewpoint is why spend a long time inserting wire/rubber cores etc in a large spliced eye, when a simple splice to a large ring or a thimble can be done instead (used in the configuration bellow).

Cheers

21704d1254961462-rope-guide-saver-p9080753.jpg

But why?

Surely by using the RG as a choker on stems, rather that pulling it through tight unions, it won't get stuck (see pic from rope guide/saver thread).

My viewpoint is why spend a long time inserting wire/rubber cores etc in a large spliced eye, when a simple splice to a large ring or a thimble can be done instead (used in the configuration bellow).

Cheers

21704d1254961462-rope-guide-saver-p9080753.jpg

Liam, what going on in that photo? Looks liek the yellow rope is pulled through the spliced eye? Not good, very dangerous in fact!

Yea thats right, the pulley and the prussik is passed completely through the large eye to choke it off. It retrieves just the same too.

I don't think its dangerous at all. If it was, why does Teufelberger picture their rope guides doing the same thing?

http://www.teufelberger.com/uploads/tx_txconceptadownloads/10-11-24_Produktblatt_pulleySaver_EN.pdf

Not seen that teufelberger pic before.

I suppose its not going to pull itself all the way through. I dont see the point though, I would have thought its harder to retrieve. Just move the prussik further up the line and choke it that way?

True.

Anybody come across anything else similar the thimbles used in the 2010 art rope guides?

And how do they compare to a flexible large spliced eye? (see my splicing attempts thread)

ropeguide2010_ring_500x500.jpg

60401d1301181923-my-splicing-attempts-pullerysaver_nick1.jpg

Hey Liam, I made the rope guide in the picture you used from the thread my splicing attempts and just thought I'd make some in put.

I think making your own rope guide is the way to go. I think that the soft eye is better than the ring/ART ring as the soft eye is far less likely to get stuck in a crotch and also chokes tighter around stems.

As far as inserting the wire goes, for me, this is not a timely effort at all... Cut the appropriate length of wire insert into eye before attempting bury and then carry on as per normal, when you do the bury, just bend the wire as you pull the cover through.

Also I found using wire wasn't the best as it tends to poke through the rope and also has a memory so once loaded it doesn't open back up. I use wire rope that has a plastic cover over it so will protect the rope on the inside and doesn't poke through. Also, wire rope has much less of a memory than wire, so makes the spliced eye open back nicely for retrieval :thumbup1:

Hope this helps you out