How do u rate large quantities of Horse chestnut as firewood

gensetsteve

As title says really. Have been offered about 300 tonnes of very dry chestnut could be bought at a good price but need to get better transport 12 miles away. There is some other ash and beech and will be on going but need to work out how to get it back to yard effectively. Some is in 4ft butts but seller will ring up as required. Not really nice straight cord so not ideal for our timber trailer. More 14 tonne grain trailer but then will need something to load.

with costs involved in changing the way you are currently transprting and loading timber does it still make it a good deal.

wouldnt rate chestnut that highly (sweet or horse) - having said that i'd still burn it if it was dry and would certainly mix it in with my firewood

Was given a load of chestnut two years ago sold it this year as bagged logs, and got nothing but positive feedback! I was worried about it spitting, but most of my customers are on log burners so makes no difference! Mix it and you will have no problem, splits really weird when dry you get the middle of a ring drop out, as a perfect log????

Thanks for the feed back. What worries me is how light it is when dry. Does horse chestnut spit as well as sweet ?. Because it is dry and light I can get a good volume back on the trailer behind Landrover but it will look overloaded. I have the option to let a large amount of large horse butts go to a competitor and cherry pic the nicer stuff decisions :confused1: I am thinking the chestnut could be alot of work especially with the transport I have.

Thanks for the feed back. What worries me is how light it is when dry. Does horse chestnut spit as well as sweet ?. Because it is dry and light I can get a good volume back on the trailer behind Landrover but it will look overloaded. I have the option to let a large amount of large horse butts go to a competitor and cherry pic the nicer stuff decisions :confused1: I am thinking the chestnut could be alot of work especially with the transport I have.

talk to local skip company and use 30/40yrd ro-ro ideal transport for smaller timber:001_smile: