How do you start a career in tree surgery?

Fflint

Hi, I'm currently looking into starting a career in tree surgery. I'm 26 and dont think i will be able to go to college etc, as I still have to pay the bills and all that but I've always loved working outdoors. I'm an experienced climber (rock, not trees!) and I've no problem with heights. I've started looking at getting chainsaw qualifications as I've been told that people wont be that interested unless i have them. So apart from those, what other qualifications do i need? and what is the best way to get into the industry under these circumstances? any ideas?

Quite seriously - Don't do it!

There is little career with total committment. With the committment you can afford, you could be physically and financially sorry in 10 yrs time.

And then what are you going to do?

Have you got qualifications to fall back on?

Are you going to keep on climbing everyday into your 50's?

Or will you get pushed aside by the next young gun who will run round faster for less money until he burns up, to get replaced by the next young gun.....

who will run round faster for less money until he burns up, to get replaced by the next young gun.....

who will run round faster for less money until he burns up, to get replaced by the next young gun.....

If they don't become another injury/death statistic first.

Or maybe you'll break the cycle and set up in business, forced to undercut the competition and work faster and harder, employing climbers who will run round faster for less money until they burn up, to get replaced by the next young gun.....

Or maybe they'll break the cycle and set up in business, forced to undercut the competition and work faster and harder, employing climbers who will run round faster for less money until they burn up, to get replaced by the next young gun.....

Its coined the cycle of diminishing returns by Jez Lawton, and is typical of this industry.

There is no 'Career' in this game I'm afraid.

Good luck.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

christ.......perhaps i should jump into a warm bath with a razorblade right now then!!!

to be honest all i want is a job that allows me to live reasonably comfortably and that i enjoy. I'm hoping that tree surgery is going to be that job. Up to now everybody has been positive about it saying its hard graft but great work. Sounds perfect to me.

I'm not saying I wont be taking what your saying on board, but if i spent all my time not trying anything I'm interested in I'd live a pretty dull life.

remember the idea is to work to live, not live to work

Thats depressing Laz, thanks for that!

A career is what you make of it. Under your system above there is no career in IT, sales, medicine, etc etc as there is always a "young gun" to take your place.

Hi Fflint

Like you I'm looking for a career change and have decided that arboriculture ticks most of the boxes, so much so that I handed my resignation in at my current job today so I can go to college to do the National Award in Arboriculture and pick up as many NPTC / Lantra tickets as I can and get as much practical experiece as possible while I'm having a 'career break' studying.

I think Laz is right IF you wanted to remain a climber until you picked up your pension. I worked in construction equipment sales for a while and it was exactly the same there - if you stayed around too long someone younger and hungrier who was willing to go the extra mile for a little less was always on your heals.

However as Rupe says IMHO a careers what you make of it. I know it's going to be tough (I'm old enough to have worked through the last recession in the early '90's) but its like most things what you get out is a proportion of what you put in.

Jeez,

you do make some valid points but it is quite a pessimistic outlook. Is your glass half full or half empty? I know what mine is...:001_cool:

Quite seriously - Don't do it!

There is little career with total committment. With the committment you can afford, you could be physically and financially sorry in 10 yrs time.

And then what are you going to do?

Have you got qualifications to fall back on?

Are you going to keep on climbing everyday into your 50's?

Or will you get pushed aside by the next young gun who will run round faster for less money until he burns up, to get replaced by the next young gun.....

Or maybe you'll break the cycle and set up in business, forced to undercut the competition and work faster and harder, employing climbers who will run round faster for less money until they burn up, to get replaced by the next young gun.....

Or maybe they'll break the cycle and set up in business, forced to undercut the competition and work faster and harder, employing climbers who will run round faster for less money until they burn up, to get replaced by the next young gun.....

Its coined the cycle of diminishing returns by Jez Lawton, and is typical of this industry.

There is no 'Career' in this game I'm afraid.

Good luck.

christ.......perhaps i should jump into a warm bath with a razorblade right now then!!!

to be honest all i want is a job that allows me to live reasonably comfortably and that i enjoy. I'm hoping that tree surgery is going to be that job. Up to now everybody has been positive about it saying its hard graft but great work. Sounds perfect to me.

I'm not saying I wont be taking what your saying on board, but if i spent all my time not trying anything I'm interested in I'd live a pretty dull life.

remember the idea is to work to live, not live to work

Hi Fflint,

Well I bet that wasn't what you wanted to hear from Laz!! Paints a pretty bad picture doesn't it.

I'm in the same position as you at the moment. I'm getting no job satisfaction in my current role (office based) and I really wanted to find a job in the outdoors that would be a challenge but enjoyable at the same time and Tree Surgery after much research ticked all the boxes. I've handed my notice in and I'm due to start a NA in Arboriculture in September and can't wait to get started. This wasn't a decision taken lightly because I've got a mortgage to pay and other financial commitments but sometimes you have just got to take risks.

I know it's not going to be easy and I know it's not going to make me a millionaire, but I'm hoping at the end of it I will be able to go to work and get some job satisfaction and hopefully enjoy it most of the time.

If you never take a risk you will be living a very dull life and in 20 yrs time you could be sitting around thinking what if and I definitely don't want that to be me.

I wish you all the best of luck for the future and it will be good to hear how you get on.

When I was fourteen I went on a weeks work experience, like most of us probably have done.

I went to work with a friend of my Dads in his architects office.

I learned two things, 1. I don't want to be an architect, and more importantly 2. I don't want to work in an office! Any office!

My career has been 100% successful on both of those points!

Thats depressing Laz, thanks for that!

A career is what you make of it. Under your system above there is no career in IT, sales, medicine, etc etc as there is always a "young gun" to take your place.

Lets just say I know how to get a point across. :001_cool:

The comparison to IT sales and medicine aren't valid - they aren't high risk enough in terms of health and injury, and generally pay well enough (at least much better than arb) not to be a financial risk.

Its not 'my' system, it is the prevailing system of arboriculture. The statistics prove it from our very own SSC. The conclusion is we are in crisis because of it.

When I hear 'Career', it means undertaking an occupation for which we are well trained. The industry is in crisis because skills aren't being retained, because arborists aren't being trained - or at least well enough. By the time MOST climbers reach their 40s they (I know some of you are superheros who will never lie down and die)

will move on from this industry because of physical injury or pain. Taking with them all of their acquired knowledge to be replaced by someone without relevant experience.

If they studied hard and gained specific qualifications to augment their very important experience, that will enable them to give professional advice to the public, or industry. This is a cycle of increasing returns. And you don't need to be an academic!

I am very pleased to hear of those who have said they committed to this industry, and had the good sense to do it properly by studying formally for academic qualifications and/or seeking a 3-5 year apprenticeship.

Thats what this industry needs. Its a long road and the 'telligent tortoise beats the hare by a long, long way.

Usually the hare cuts a leg on the way, meaning they rarely make the finish.