Unimogs rock thread

Stephen Blair

you can do away with the original glow plugs ,westfield 4x4 does a conversion (fast glow plugs as he calls them ) mine starts almost instantly even at its coldest this year

Westfield 4x4

Thanks, I'll put that on my shopping list. He can't source an original spool block for the 'indicator stalk' hyd controls unfortunately, so unless one comes up on Ebay.de I'll have to bolt a generic spool block somewhere on the dashboard. The block was common to 421s and I think 406s too so if anyone knows of any round cabs being broken......

YES to the filters..........NO to the timing!!!!

i would have thought if they are fitting a re-con engine it should come to you running, it sounds like you are getting pumped mate:thumbdown:

You should have got a written quote specifing exactly what you were getting for your money. hope it gets resolved mate.

Cheers stevie! i have been searching all over for a guide! is the difference between a u1000 and a u1600 just horsepower then?

in a nut shell no.

Saying a u16## is just a u1000, u12## or u14## with more power is like saying men are built just like women simply because they have a head, 2 arms, 2 legs and an a**hole wile ignoring the obvious other differences! ;)

A u16## has totally different axels, a heavily strengthened chassis, a heaver/stronger steering system, stronger springs, piston crown coolers in the engine, different engine mounted oil cooler (plate vs. disk type), a 10000kg to 11300kg GVW, bigger brakes, different wheels and a few other minor differences.

Really a u16## is a bastardisation between a 424 type MBU (u1000, u12##, u14##) and 425 type SBU (u1300, u1500, u17##) to yield something a little smaller than an SBU but a bit bigger than an MBU which results in a relatively powerful, strong and relatively compact package.

Guys,

If you bought a recon engine would you expect it to come with Oils filters belts?

would you expect to have to sort the timing out on it?

IMO a recon engine would normally not come with all the ancillaries and manifolds etc etc that would be reused from your engine, so the injector pump timing would need doing as that would have to come off your engine as would your oil filter housing so it would need a new filter/s.

There can be a big difference between short engines or long engines either if they have been reconditioned, remanufactured or are a full crated recon/reman engine which just drops in which you would probably just reuse your old starter motor and maybe alternator.

After all genuine Merc oil & fuel filters are NOT by any stretch of imagination expensive ;)

IMO a recon engine would normally not come with all the ancillaries and manifolds etc etc that would be reused from your engine, so the injector pump timing would need doing as that would have to come off your engine as would your oil filter housing so it would need a new filter/s.

There can be a big difference between short engines or long engines either if they have been reconditioned, remanufactured or are a full crated recon/reman engine which just drops in which you would probably just reuse your old starter motor and maybe alternator.

After all genuine Merc oil & fuel filters are NOT by any stretch of imagination expensive ;)

I understand that the parts are not expensive.

thats not my point, When I asked them to quote to fit the new engine I would have thought they would have know that new filter belts and all the other bit would need fitting to it and would have put this in the price.

I also told them that its NOT coming with injectors and pump and they would have to use my old one (we had a 30 min chat about new injectors)

they are now saying that they had expected it to have come ready to install and needs 5 days to install.

I think I am being stung here and I am really not happy

going to take a drive down to have a word because I cant get hold of the boss on the phone!

I understand that the parts are not expensive.

thats not my point, When I asked them to quote to fit the new engine I would have thought they would have know that new filter belts and all the other bit would need fitting to it and would have put this in the price.

I also told them that its NOT coming with injectors and pump and they would have to use my old one (we had a 30 min chat about new injectors)

they are now saying that they had expected it to have come ready to install and needs 5 days to install.

I think I am being stung here and I am really not happy

going to take a drive down to have a word because I cant get hold of the boss on the phone!

So what was the engine out of? Was it originally in a mog or in something else?

As for 5 days, are they waiting for some parts?

as I cannot believe it will take 5 days labour to remove parts from 1 engine and refit them to the other engine properly including removal & refitting in the mog, 3 days maybe if they were a bit slow but even then that would give them >1.5 days time for swapping things between engines.

Its from a Mog so no issue there,

the only parts they need are gaskets which would only take 24hrs to get.

I think I will just get it sorted and never use them again as tbh I have not been very happy with them which is a bit of a bummer as they are only an hour from me

Eddiegts, really sorry to hear it's not going smoothly for you. I know how frustrating that is, not to mention the expense of down time.

Sounds like you're about to join the very very long list of disgruntled ParkAgri ex-customers. For future reference, Ibbetts are not too far from you. I've never had the need to use them but have only heard good things from others.

Also, I have had spare parts from Mudie Bond and always had good advice and swift service.