free climbing for fun

bareroots

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think I'd bother these days.

I got a badge in the cub scouts for 'climbing a very tall tree'.

It was a conker tree and it seemed massive, but I was only eight!

Wonder how many kids fell to their doom attempting to get the badge?

Not many I bet. :biggrin:

Health and safety would have a fit nowadays. I bet they don't award that badge anymore. :001_rolleyes:

Not free climbed outside of work since i was a kid really, was always climbing them as a youngster though, and building tree houses. Took a walk in an old woodland i used to play "man hunt" in as a kid the otherday and my tree house is still there nearly 10years on :)

I often free climb at work though, to install my anchor point or to install a pulling line. I like it when you install a pulling line then just slide back down the pulling line to the ground :)

I fell about 25 ft off a Beech tree i was taking down. Wasn't free climbing but apart from a bump on the head and sore shoulder i had no injuries as i got into the parachute landing postion, feet and knees squeezed together, arms and shoulders forward and chin on chest. Though this might come in handy for anyone free climbing not very well.

I fell about 25 ft off a Beech tree i was taking down. Wasn't free climbing but apart from a bump on the head and sore shoulder i had no injuries as i got into the parachute landing postion, feet and knees squeezed together, arms and shoulders forward and chin on chest. Though this might come in handy for anyone free climbing not very well.

:confused1: How did you fall then???????????:confused1:

got the tree down to a pole, had my rope over a shallow fork. came downa few feet and pulled the pulling rope up to tie it on, put the pullingrope round the trunk and tied it with a timber hitch. put my weight back in my harness and my rope had come out of the fork. my fault for not having my strop around but " last cut of the day" syndrome, i thought i had finished the tree and switched off. earnt me a brusied brain, a trip in an ambulance that i can't remember and night in hospital. but ok in the end.