HS2 threat to 27 ancient woods and more could be in the line of construction fire.

this train line is going right through my neighbourhood in amersham.. from our farm the view of rolling countryside is gonna be ruined by it.. my uncle has had his house for sale for 18 months and cant get a single offer as its few hundred yards from the line... on other hand we're tryin to buy a small farm near the pruposed route thats 800.000 less because of the line..

chilton hills wont b the same,,

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you luddites can't stop progress, it's about time this country had a decent infastructure. but railways are old news and a bad idea, destroying habitats/woodlands is nothing new but there's not as many left now as there used to be so this would be wrong to be given the greenlight. maybe the planners need to see even the woodcutters are against this not just the crazy activists

but railways don't ever go from where you are to where you need to be, i live within sight of a main railway but the local station got closed before i was born, i went on a train last when i was about 10, how can they possibly help? unless you mean rail freight?

This is exactly my point...a MASSIVE reinvestment is required, and a downturn in the reign of the car. Open up all these local stations again, improve the local bus services, and increase railfreight. It is sooo much more ecenomical.

This is exactly my point...a MASSIVE reinvestment is required, and a downturn in the reign of the car. Open up all these local stations again, improve the local bus services, and increase railfreight. It is sooo much more ecenomical.

you win this time:thumbup:, but thats only because i'm a fan of local services for local people. but they should leave the ancient trees alone, we can't grow new ancient woodlands

I personally think the trains are not a bad idea. BUT.. They should spend money improving the current network, rather than damaging ancient woodlands (in the international year of forests hahah the irony:lol:) by building new parts to the network! All of the old lines and stations shut down years ago could quite easily be re-opened with a bit of effort. If your local station was closer you may be more inclined to leave the car at home..If the ticket prices were reasonable:sneaky2: Then there would be no damage to the ancient woodlands. Where is this money coming from anyway?? I find it all a bit depressing..

Edited by BenR

Re-opening the old lines that Beeching closed down is'nt as easy as you think, take for instance my local line that ran from Bury st Edmunds to Sudbury there are now houses standing where the old line used to run, so that idea is out the window.

Not every single track closed has houses along it now though. My point more than anything is why not spend money improving the track we already have!!