Hedge work Prices

White Noise

Do all you guys charge the same day rate for hedges as you do for trees ?

Or is it a case of reducing the daily price as you could be undercut by the local gardener .

Maybe that you just charge per job taking into account access .

I,m finding it increasingly difficult to price and win hedge work at the minute . I will write a quote and then think that looks a bit steep , so quite often I,m rewriting the quotes again but cheaper .

Just seems to be the last year or so that Ive stopping getting as many hedge jobs .

Is this down to the influx of the bob a job gardeners ?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to be charging based on your cost of doing business. Does your cost to do hedge work change compared with doing tree work? I think most tree companies will bring their trucks, chippers, gear etc. to a big hedge job and the only savings to be had by doing hedges is maybe some where and tear on some equipment.

Bob the Gardner may have significantly lower operating costs if he does not have a large truck and chipper and does not have to paid skilled climbers etc.

You'll never get the same money for hedge cutting as you will rope and harness tree work, price to whatever your market will pay........

While I agree with part of this how do you do hedge work if it will not cover your costs, let alone make a profit?

There is minimal outlay costs in hedge cutting so anyone that can't make a profit aint doing it right.

The key to making a profit in hedge trimming is to work hard and fast.

This is not true for many people and companies. If you are paying for a truck, chipper, fuel, insurance, employees, repairs etc., your costs are not minimal, they are essentailly fixed. If you do have all these cost then maybe you should not be doing hedge work that can be done with a ladder and gas trimmer.

This is not true for many people and companies. If you are paying for a truck, chipper, fuel, insurance, employees, repairs etc., your costs are not minimal, they are essentailly fixed. If you do have all these cost then maybe you should not be doing hedge work that can be done with a ladder and gas trimmer.

:confused1:I've read that over and over a few times and I still can't make head nor tail of what you're trying to say.

Well if you don't understand then you really need to speak to an accountant on how to calculate your cost of doing business

I would agree with that. There is absolutley no reason for a fully qualified, CS 30,31,38,39, arb insured tree surgeon with tipper truck and 12" chipper to charge the same hourly rate for trimming a hedge as he would topping a 50ft Beech just because of his running costs. If your costs are too high then leave it for a professional gardener/landscaper to do, just because they dont have qualifications or arb insurance doesn't mean they are any less capable of doing the job. The customer should't have to pay over the top prices for hedge trimming because of your high running costs!

I would agree with that. There is absolutley no reason for a fully qualified, CS 30,31,38,39, arb insured tree surgeon with tipper truck and 12" chipper to charge the same hourly rate for trimming a hedge as he would topping a 50ft Beech just because of his running costs. If your costs are too high then leave it for a professional gardener/landscaper to do, just because they dont have qualifications or arb insurance doesn't mean they are any less capable of doing the job. The customer should't have to pay over the top prices for hedge trimming because of your high running costs!

So because of your high running cost you dont make a profit at the end of the day? The customer should pay a set day or hour rate.:confused1:

Why you would need a 12 inch chipper for hedge cutting ill never know