Whippendell Woods-

I am involved in the felling works in Whippendell Woods and cannot quite grasp what the problem is?

The thinning work is at least 20-30 years overdue.

I understand some people think short term ie; (Been walking in these woods for 30 years Blah Blah Blah Bluebell's Beetles, Bats, where else can my dog possibly S=..t, etc etc etc ! ) What about your children and their children? How do you expect them to enjoy the woodland if it is not maintained? Have you actually ever taken a close look at the trees or the stumps of the felled trees? Most are squirrel damaged. Dead , Dying and Dangerous Trees have been removed next to pathways which in my opinion were a hazard to walkers. Dead wood has beeen left for habitat. The canopy has been opened up allowing light, the long term benefits are endless. As for the comment on Hard Cash ..... Get a Grip.

Im sorry, but IMO thats a poor view.

A short term damage to the habitat available at whip, such as this, could cause the 'blah blah blah bluebells beetles, bats' to find somewhere else to live, turning a woodland into just a load of trees.

as for enjoying a woodland, shouldnt it be enjoyed in natural beauty of fungi, bugs, bats, wildlife, plants and habitat?

I agree hazard need to be managed if they are an iminent threat to the public, but how much of an issue does it become? tidy up some deadwood, reduce the hazard, removing the tree altogether isnt always the best option. Its all the risk factors talking here, high target area, depending on how bust these paths are, maybe 1 person every 5-10 minutes every day through 8 hours of the day, maybe each one is under a particular tree for 5 seconds, that means somebody is under a particular tree for 4 minutes a day, not very long imo.

minimal maintenance of the woodland would be sufficient i.e. remove major hazards, clear paths of trees and branches but leave them at the side as habitat piles.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am involved in the felling works in Whippendell Woods and cannot quite grasp what the problem is?

The thinning work is at least 20-30 years overdue.

I understand some people think short term ie; (Been walking in these woods for 30 years Blah Blah Blah Bluebell's Beetles, Bats, where else can my dog possibly S=..t, etc etc etc ! ) What about your children and their children? How do you expect them to enjoy the woodland if it is not maintained? Have you actually ever taken a close look at the trees or the stumps of the felled trees? Most are squirrel damaged. Dead , Dying and Dangerous Trees have been removed next to pathways which in my opinion were a hazard to walkers. Dead wood has beeen left for habitat. The canopy has been opened up allowing light, the long term benefits are endless. As for the comment on Hard Cash ..... Get a Grip.

I am glad that someone gave the other side, thanks Henderson very well put.

:thumbup:

I visited Whippendel woods yesterday for the first time...had a great day on my own, zig zagging between various trees. I was like a 6 year old let loose in Toys R Us with a £100 gift voucher. In my element. Such a beautiful place. Here's a few piccys.

Thank you for sharing those great images of Whippendell:thumbup1:

i know all those view points well, and glad you enjoyed the wood so much, it is a very special place:001_cool:

• 2 months later...

In a way the thinners are doing me a favour because they have forced me to really focus on conservation legislation and criteria from the bottom up. Its my way, when something matters to me I do my research and am really enjoying this work.

I hope in time to know the system well enough to halt any further logging operations in Whippendell to manage it as a naturalised ancient woodland as it was and is meant to be.

http://www.keele-conference.com/uploads/asset_file/appendix%205.pdf

If anyone has accses to the following document please throw it my way!

A Nature Conservation Review (Ratcliffe 1977)