Getting the Transit re-mapped

Ian Flatters

Just a quick update,

Truck still going strong and saving me money on fuel. On the down side i managed to get a speeding fine (i went on the how to drive course). The thing i am really pleased with is the increased torque which makes dragging a heavy load + chipper much easier. Im still very happy with the results.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a quick read through this thread and I can't understand why you want to remap a vehicle.

Surely the manufacturers know what's best for their vehicles and if Ford could promise better fuel efficiency and more bhp with a remapped engine then they would do it as standard

Surely the downside is increased engine wear and reduced engine life.

My question really is what advantage do the manufacturers gain by not mapping engines similarly. It would be a selling point- extra mpg+extra performance- a winner!!

I've had a quick read through this thread and I can't understand why you want to remap a vehicle.

Surely the manufacturers know what's best for their vehicles and if Ford could promise better fuel efficiency and more bhp with a remapped engine then they would do it as standard

Surely the downside is increased engine wear and reduced engine life.

My question really is what advantage do the manufacturers gain by not mapping engines similarly. It would be a selling point- extra mpg+extra performance- a winner!!

Manufacturers have the the same engine range and all they do is change the software in the ECU.

So remapping isn't a millions miles away from what takes place when they have different horsepower engines.

I just bought a new insignia 2.0 diesel 160 bhp there is very little difference between it and a 130 bhp model just bigger injectors and a map change.

Now I will remap it to 194 bhp and with regular servicing and mechanical sympathy, I have no worrys or fears of going bang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manufacturers have the the same engine range and all they do is change the software in the ECU.

So remapping isn't a millions miles away from what takes place when they have different horsepower engines.

I just bought a new insignia 2.0 diesel 160 bhp there is very little difference between it and a 130 bhp model just bigger injectors and a map change.

Now I will remap it to 194 bhp and with regular servicing and mechanical sympathy, I have no worrys or fears of going bang.

I'm still unsure- maybe I should check this out

I still can't understand why if it isn't detrimental to the vehicle then vauxhall in this instance could charge more and just give you a 194bhp as standard- especially if you can get better fuel efficiency/more torque.

Does not mapping give you more torque where you need it as opposed to an average user- in other words- If you regularly travel fully loaded doesn't the benefit of mapping help you in low speeds but if you were to sell the vehicle on to someone who just carried cardboard boxes around at speed then the map you have created would not help him.

Similarly with your Vauxhall will the mapping make using at low speeds a bit harder/ less user friendly but may give you more torque at say 3000 revs and a higher top speed.

Humour me, I'm trying to understand:confused1:

Much of it is to do with meeting emissions standards I believe, which contrary to what you might think, tighter emission controls are often acheived at the expense of fuel economy.

I'm just thinking now about the new stihl 4 mix engines that I understand meet new stricter emissions standards but are also more fuel efficient as is the new 200t- Also when the new cabstar came out about 4 years ago the euro 4 standard engine gave better fuel economy than previously though not much -up to about 25mpg from 23- and 100% better comfort (though that wasn't hard)

Someone is going to have a go at me soon I know about being stupid or similar but I'm still a bit unsure of the benefits.

Maybe the bottom line is- Would you buy a mapped vehicle?

I'm still unsure- maybe I should check this out

I still can't understand why if it isn't detrimental to the vehicle then vauxhall in this instance could charge more and just give you a 194bhp as standard- especially if you can get better fuel efficiency/more torque.

Does not mapping give you more torque where you need it as opposed to an average user- in other words- If you regularly travel fully loaded doesn't the benefit of mapping help you in low speeds but if you were to sell the vehicle on to someone who just carried cardboard boxes around at speed then the map you have created would not help him.

Similarly with your Vauxhall will the mapping make using at low speeds a bit harder/ less user friendly but may give you more torque at say 3000 revs and a higher top speed.

Humour me, I'm trying to understand:confused1:

You have more torque from tickover with a remap, torque is everything really bhp figures just look good, and yes it is all to do with emissions.

Next mod is to get rid of the most pointless item on any car the egr valve. It's going next it kills modern engines.

4 Mix engines are 4 stroke, which are more generally more fuel efficient than 2 strokes.

New Stihl saws have stratocharged engines, which are generally more fuel efficient.

How does any of that relate to remapping a diesel ECU?

If you really want to know more, read up on Euro emissions standards and what they are for, and how reducing N0X levels in diesel emissions is acheived.

EGR valve an excellent point to demonstrate that modern engine designers have anything but reliability and long working life as design goals.

Look at the modern light commercial vehicle, its designed to cover 150,000 miles in 5 years, and then be thrown away.

My Euro II Iveco truck is 11 years and 300,00 km old, and given proper maintenance will still be going strong in another 11 years and 300,000 km. Can't see any of the new Euro V Adblue reliant engines lasting that long.