ropeguide primus

vduben

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how long does the main bit of rope need to be? any precise measurement or does it need to be large enough to go around the biggest stem your likely to go around with a bit more for the small maillion?

also could i use a old butterfly bridge shackel to use as the part to catch the rope?

Ok, Too many questions! I've just taken the dog for a walk and that means calling in at the pub to make sure they are still in business!!

No splicing needed, its a 10mm sling pulled through a length of rope outer sheath.

The Krab is only connected to the sling, the rope is there to make the whole thing more durable.

A large mallion (pear shape would be best) would probably be better than a Krab, especially due to the twist loading of the Krab. Personally I like a krab, I can undo it and move my TIP without taking the rope out. As long as you check the function of the Krab (weekly loler requirement) all should be ok.

The length of the rope is determined by the sling that goes inside it. Wild country only make 10mm dyneema slings in 60 and 120 cm lengths. 60 is too short, 120 is ok, if there were a longer one I would make it longer.

Pete, trust you to notice what I'm wearing! BTW this item is based on your re-de which is discussed in the thread "re-de bling" so thanks for the idea.

An old butterfly bridge shackle is perfect to catch the rope. The original balls sold with ropeguides won't fit through it. I get ball and shackles from a local boat shop that are similar size.

this is the one i made up. inserted a type of solid bungee cord into the splice after the core had been taken out to hold itself open for retrieval. nice to climb on but a pain in the arse to retrieve. i always get problems with the alu ring on the webbing rope guide getting stuck in tight crotches and thought this would be the answer. at the moment, its not:mad1:

59765368ea006_dbropeguide.jpg.c0962808aea33d1b4d10c488f620cf71.jpg