Navara MPG

Brushcutter

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recent trip down to the south coast and back with a very heavy trailer (2.6 tonnes). Got 22mpg with the trailer fully loaded, and then about 26mpg on the way back with it with perhaps 400-500kg on it. Pretty impressed really, though the 190bhp does seem pretty necessary when the total train weight is over 5 tonne!

The mileage of the truck is approaching 6k now and the engine seems much happier - feels quicker and is certainly more efficient. 30mpg plus is very easy, even when driving fairly quickly.

Running a Hilux 2.5 HL2 model on 57 plate 120 bhp

had ifor williams back on kitted with three mens climbing,saws and other general gear plus pulling a jenson tracked chipper, on average 380mls to a £98 pound tank of diesel

now removed back of pick up, not towing and only myself in pick up, if I potter around on a roads and stick to 70 on m/ways get 500mls to £98 pounds worth diesel.

only other pick up i have heard doing this is the izusu rodeo, but there like rocking horse muck to find

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Ipswich and back the other weekend and did mega-eco mode driving for the first tank and got 37.7mpg (39mpg showing on computer) and 620 miles to the tank. Not going much faster than the lorries at that though. Goes to show that fuel economy isn't so much down to the vehicle but the way that that vehicle is driven.

Jonathan

Went to Ipswich and back the other weekend and did mega-eco mode driving for the first tank and got 37.7mpg (39mpg showing on computer) and 620 miles to the tank. Not going much faster than the lorries at that though. Goes to show that fuel economy isn't so much down to the vehicle but the way that that vehicle is driven.

Jonathan

You really are the planet's friend! My Navara has 1800 miles on it now and has just achieved the dizzy mpg heights of 28.8 according to the pooter and that's with Granny Jon driving (2000rpm exactly on motorway). How do you do it?! Do you think my mpg will climb much as the engine continues to ease?

I'm on a manual. Jon - my first two or three tanks were pretty poor. I remember the first one being only about 27mpg. That said, I'd just stepped out of my old Audi 100 Quattro in the Navara, so it took a while to beat the Quattro driver into submission!

I think the biggest thing is that I very rarely brake. If coming to a roundabout, I come off the accelerator a long way before needing to come to a stop. Similarly for sliproads, junctions etc. Keeping on the gas and then braking late makes next to no difference to journey time but huge difference to mpg. Similarly for corners - I usually try to maintain a reasonable amount of speed going through rather than braking and then having to accelerate again.

If I just stuck to 56mph behind a lorry, I would get 40mpg. I would also get a clip around the ear from my very bored wife!

Driving up to Cheshire tomorrow morning for a wedding at the weekend, with a very touchy, pregnant missus. Might have to try that on the journey. I'll try and remember to duck.

At present I am getting around 33 mpg average.

Rich - manual. I wonder how much difference BFG ATs make though.

Jonathan - likewise; always try to keep moving and minimise the stop/start stuff. But my driving is little motorway and mostly just outside London and around Surrey so I may have misled you when I mentioned motorway driving.

But at least the numbers are moving in the right direction.

Cheers,

Jon

Good luck Rich!

Jon - the suburban stuff isn't too bad. The Navara isn't a huge fan of city driving but you will get better mpg in town than at 80mph on the motorway. I'm on BF Goodrich AT's btw.