The phone line club

3dogs

Worked with a guy who, when faced with a tree entangled in telecom lines, would put his saw through the lines, deal to the tree and then call telecom at the end of the day and say he'd seen one of their lines down or had seen an over height truck snap them as it drove under. Personally, done one, maybe two phone lines and one LV that I unwittingly dropped a Cedar branch on. Ripped the mounting off the house wall but didn't snap the lines. Cost me a box of beer for the faulty to reattach the the wall mounting :thumbup:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not damaged any, with a chainsaw but i've had a few up whilst excavating, they put them in rediculously shallow sometimes, lazy bar stewards! But my friend ios a BT engineer so always got a reapir kit in the van, they're dead easy to re join!

I've cut through one and pulled one of a wall, the first one I fixed my self, it lasted long enough for the cheque to clear and the second I re attached to the house by tieing it to the drain pipe with bailer twine, the customer seemed happy with that.

I was working for a council doing up waste sites in Manchester. I asked the Worksite Manager if telephone/electric cables underground and told no so carried on using a large mole subsoiler with a tractor and the ground raised up behind so thinking it was old flagstones increased the revs and ripped up a 11.000KV line:001_rolleyes: (Very loud bang and flash)

I had to high jump of the machine with feet close together to avoid being killed. Electric board said amazed I was still alive.:001_huh:

1,000+ homes without power at 4pm in wintertime.

Moral:- Wear rubber wellies and gloves.

Done a couple with the digger ! noone new they were there lol !

on the same theame when i was on the farm my old boss man bought some feed silos from the other side of the town and took a tipper trailer to get it with on waty home it was that tall he took out about 10 lines lol

next morning hes come back to the farm to find the peed off user of one line has felled the farms telephone pole with a felling axe lol !!!!!!!

Used to carry a spare cable myself. Haven't broken a telecom line in quite a while. Used to do work for the council and in areas where Eircom had used the trees as telegraph poles we were instructed to take down as many wires as we could then phone the parks dept. who would be onsite to refuse permission when the Eircom engineers turned up. Made for some very entertaining scenes.