Trees in the painted British Landscape

David Humphries

Here's another David,

Captain Samuel Sharpe Pocklington with His Wife, Pleasance, and possibly His Sister, Frances - Image

I took a keen interest in George Stubbs whilst at uni, I have to admit at the time I was looking at the horses rather than the trees.

I've seen this one before.

I read somewhere, that large landscape trees in portraits like this one were an additional acknowledgement of wealth, like the horse & the fine clothes etc......

This is one of the ones hanging on my parents' wall:

http://www.francis-iles.com/passingshow.jpg

There are a fair number of other Rowland Hilder images on the same site - the gallery bought all his paintings on his death.

Alec

Look like Sycamore to me Alec, do you know what they are?

This one hangs on our wall. I have often wondered what the trees were. Probably painted I north Essex or Suffolk.

Limes perhaps ?

Look like Sycamore to me Alec, do you know what they are?

I can't be absolutely certain, but I'm pretty sure they're beech. Compare with:

Beech Trees in Winter (image preview: FOT646819) | fotoLibra

Sycamore are more 'twiggy' at the tops - lots of zigzag bits.

I think the painting is of barns at High Halstow in Kent.

JPH - I agree with David that lime is most likely for yours - the main branch structure is also correct for horse chestnut but the finer branches are all wrong and it doesn't look blocky enough for the heavy leaves. I could be persuaded that the one on the left was an elm, although it would be a semi-mature one as the top isn't rounded enough. There used to be a lot of elms in this area.

Alec

I've seen this one before.

I read somewhere, that large landscape trees in portraits like this one were an additional acknowledgement of wealth, like the horse & the fine clothes etc......

Yes, absolutely. There's lots of hidden symbolism in paintings. I wish I'd paid more attention at my lectures:blushing:

Here's some interesting ones, not all scenes in the UK but still great snap shots of the past.

va_pc_2006bh7681_624x544.jpg.c6e0036a1607094e0b636145fa8f7364.jpg

Bril-January-Wood-Cutters-in-a-Winter-Landscape-DB6669-690x420.jpg.5768cfb8a945ce3decdd05f479b23910.jpg

b-m-398.jpg.b56ab34388c28422f326602679b299d0.jpg

cw_rcm_truri_1947_28_large.jpg.4094144301ebfb9320f2ae97edb900bb.jpg

Paulus_Potter_-_Young_Bull.jpg.8ad958f8aa9debe9f9ec11073f287071.jpg

I thought I'd saved the titles and painters:confused1:, I'll have to dig around again, will post them up later:001_smile:

Well observed on the oak, do you think there's some artistic license with it growing next to the willow?

Thought you'd like that one seeing as you have an interest in how trees tolerate livestock damage:001_smile:

David, Interesting tread of yours..thanks

English landscape painting from the C18 onwards is a wonderful resource and I for one could quite happily spend a decade or two reviewing the content of this archive. Fast forward to C20 and have a look at the work of Paul Nash. pre C18 you will find Chinese graphics of interest.

Last year, I realised I'd missed this Deep Rooted- How Trees Shape Our Lives at Whitworth Art Gallery exhibtion...Drat an double drat

Great link Pete,

Here's another I just spotted-

Title : Woodcutters rest, Windsor Forest Artist : John Linnell RA (1792-1882)

Price : £12,800.00 Date : 1835

Earlier post:-

pic1=File:Paulus Potter - Young Bull.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pic2= don't know sorry

pic3=Core Record NIRP - VADS: the online resource for visual arts

pic4=January – Wood-cutters in a Winter Landscape Agnew's Gallery

pic5=Oil painting - Landscape with Woodcutters - Victoria & Albert Museum - Search the Collections

p10112972311201155535.JPG.7895c5334a972cf2cea93890581b2868.JPG