should I do it or not?

TArrryan

Today I viewed a hedge that needs two things done to it, firstly it just needs a good old trim like any hedge does each year, theres no problem with that, the real problem is what the council want done! the hedge is about 120 feet in length and 8 foot tall. unfortunatly it overhangs the public path by as much as 40% in places and the council have told the lady it needs cutting back! I don't disagree that it needs trimming but I do feel it would have a severe negative impact on its location, I drive by this hedge evey day (live 100m down the road) and can remember it being there since we moved into the house 18 years ago. I'm unaware of any complaints about it overhanging and personally never had any problems with it when I have walked past. Is there any way I can try and change the councils mind on this matter??

I also hate the though of being the one that has to slaughter the nice sweeping hedge cutting it back to bare wood !! I wouldnt be surprised if I was approached by a number of people about its cutting

59765a0e1f86a_hedge2.jpg.465acb61d5fa39f05773f84cd93bcbe9.jpg

59765a0e1d300_hedge1.jpg.6d2f76e1b1f74355ff44e08be3ec2efa.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually if you cut one side of a conny hedge back hard, yes it will look rough as rats for a while (quite a long while!) but the remaining side will turn back and grow through again, which can be managed and kept in check after time, so all would not be lost.

Can't see nothing wrong with just a trim, but if the council wants to get funny they will do the work themselves at charge a small fortune.

I would tell them to sod off and tell them to widen the path :biggrin:

It does sound like a lose lose situation at the mo, unless an apeal does work.

I had to do a similar job in Penshurst with a Yew Hedge that overhung the path, which was narrow even at full width, no one seemed ot want it done but the council insisted, it was an awful job! Its starting to grow back now, but it'll be a while before its back to normal!

That will be terrible ona connifer hedge, they should put a fence up or something.