Have you ever been there when a tree has failed naturally ?

Arbgirl

Yeah. Whilst living in Costa Rica I was nearly hit by a falling tree. I was walking up in to the jungle to fix the water pipe which was an almost daily job. My girlfriend at the time was with me and said "Is that tree falling over?"

It was and falling right at us. We both ran diferent ways and it came straight down the track exactly where we were standing.

Also seen a large piece of Maccy come down in the wind but it wasn't nearly as exciting.

Let me know if your coming down this way Tony. I know a few places up your street.

sounds like a devon road trip is on the cards!:thumbup1:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once in a Spruce woodland during a severe wintertime storm with nowhere to hide. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: and multi stems falling down.

In Australia walking under a tree species known as the "widow makers". A Large stem ripped off and dropped where we had walked 10 seconds before and had planned to park the hire van but thought better looking at wind conditions.

I think its the climate here Hama

It is warm and wet in Devon, very different climate/woodland to the ones in the SE

Much less hornbeam, sweet chestnut, more beech - lots of microclimates and very humid steep SNAW, loads of streams and springs, ferns everywhere growing thickly along moss covered branches - fungi love it here!!

Edited by Arbgirl

I think its the climate here Hama

It is warm and wet in Devon, very different climate/woodland to the ones in the SE

Much less hornbeam, sweet chestnut, more beech - lots of microclimates and very humid steep SNAW, loads of streams and springs, ferns everywhere growing thickly along moss covered branches - fungi love it here!!

mmmmm, im in! sounds wicked:thumbup:

I was in a woodland strimming rides on a very still calm day.

I heard a crack and thought it was a gunshot, so ignored it and put my ear defenders back on...

Few seconds more strimming heard another crack....switched off the strimmer...and listened...heard a loud creaking sound then saw a 70ft mature oak falling straight toward me.

I simply walked to the side and it missed, luck was on my side that day. :001_smile:

Its definitely a nightmarish thought to be in a tree when it blows over. Have considered escape options before and all seem a bit risky.

When it snowed a couple years ago some trees came down on a main road in okehampton. I went back for 5 mins to get my camera and on return another had fallen! Unlucky i wasnt there to see it but also lucky i wasnt there for it to land on me!

Edited by Mr0zero0

i was topping a tall cony hedge and next to us was a large apple tree when the customers made us a brew they where telling us that there cat had just died and they were still upset and they said the apple tree was where the cat spent most of it time in it we finished the hedge and as we where cleaning up the apple tree fell over so we had to tel the customers who where then more upset and even more upset when i said that it will cost £150 xtra to remove it