Anyone here understand towing law and max weights?

RichardT

time to throw another spanner in the works

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/Quick%20guide%20to%20towing%20small%20trailers.pdf

vosa document making no mention to the trailer plate, only as its 'design weight' and only specifying that thou shalt not exceed the weights on the VIN

Thats the short guide to towing trailers, you need the long, complicated and very boring guide to towing trailers. :lol:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm losing the will to live, let alone get the ******** tractor!

Will post pics of machine (early baby Mog) if possible, failing that of me in cuffs.

Thanks for interest and advice, a bottle of Laphroaig is now demanding my attention, it's the only sane response.

is the mog the 411 that was on ebay I own one of those if it is and towed it approx 200 miles home on a brian james car transporter

time to throw another spanner in the works

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/Quick%20guide%20to%20towing%20small%20trailers.pdf

vosa document making no mention to the trailer plate, only as its 'design weight' and only specifying that thou shalt not exceed the weights on the VIN

Ho Jim

It does mention a trailer plate

The trailer may also display similar information

showing the capacity of the axles and the

maximum weight it can carry.

And the VIN (in this case) applies to the towing vehicle

Ho Jim

It does mention a trailer plate

The trailer may also display similar information

showing the capacity of the axles and the

maximum weight it can carry.

And the VIN (in this case) applies to the towing vehicle

but no mention of that weight being anything other than the maximum it can carry, that is to say, no mention that that weight is in any way crucial to its marriage to the towing vehicle

My question is, can I DIY my plate back up to 2700kg for when (or if) I'm pulling something else that is heavier than my chipper. As long as it max's out at no more than 2700kg obviously.

Yup, no problem.

I know of one chap that has several plates stuck to fridge magnets and swaps them about several trailers as needed, all perfectly legal

whilst we are here.... what do the weights on the trailer drawbar refer to?? we have several ivor trailers, when new the plate on the towing hitch states max 1800kg, luckily they seem to fall off when you leave the dealers!!! from memory its a knott drawbar the plate was on!!

whilst we are here.... what do the weights on the trailer drawbar refer to?? we have several ivor trailers, when new the plate on the towing hitch states max 1800kg, luckily they seem to fall off when you leave the dealers!!! from memory its a knott drawbar the plate was on!!

If it’s the manufacturers plate on the towing head, it will be the rating for the head