Ever wondered about sharpening an old circular saw for firewood production.

Frank

Reminds me of my mate,long since gone to that big woodyard in the sky,whose old place was becoming surrounded by new houses and yuppie neighbours,who were very touchy about noise - they didnt like his hens or his tractor.

Final straw was when one asked him to stop using his lawn boy when they were having a bbq.

Funnily enough after that he got in the habit of firing up his old sawbench on sunday mornings,usually a little after 6 and started to attack his heap of seared elm.

You could hear that blade singing out miles away.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of my mate,long since gone to that big woodyard in the sky,whose old place was becoming surrounded by new houses and yuppie neighbours,who were very touchy about noise - they didnt like his hens or his tractor.

Final straw was when one asked him to stop using his lawn boy when they were having a bbq.

Funnily enough after that he got in the habit of firing up his old sawbench on sunday mornings,usually a little after 6 and started to attack his heap of seared elm.

You could hear that blade singing out miles away.

Haha. Brilliant. We are losing all characters like that.

We used to run a bench like that from a Major as well. Big flat belt flapping about like crazy and no guards or anything. My dad and uncle george feeding in the wood and us boys picking up the finished logs for splitting.

Looking back, the belt itself was insanely dangerous and could have maimed or killed anyone within spitting distance.

A guy up the road has our Major now and is rebuilding it to as new spec apparently. I don't really miss it. It was a b$%£$rd to get in gear and all I ever used to get to do with it was scoop up cow business.

Used similar setup myself not too long ago till gypo's took loads of parts off her:(

definately made you feel alive haha especially if the belt jumped off or snapped clean in two,remember once the circular blade decide it didn't want to stay put once aswell.

Had to sit and have a brew and five minutes to myslf after that on haha

And yes I have a grizzly beard haha.

Interesting thread Frank.I have since purchased the 'heating with wood' book by Andy Reynolds and it offers quite a different insight into firewood.The same author wrote a book on wind and solar electricity and this is even more gripping.If like me you struggle to grasp the technology behind renewable energy read this book and it all makes complete sense.The link to LiLi ,low impact living ,opens up a whole new world to anyone interested in self sufficiency.