Where does your loyalty lie?

Tom D

Wher does your loyalty lie?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Wher does your loyalty lie?

• the tree
    • the client

For the record, it is at moments like that, when i feel so bloody frustrated by the lack of natural empathy in this world that i have my greatest inspirations. I tend to be at my best just after a low point, like a rubber ball I will ALWAYS bounce back, and each time lessons learnt and the bounce back harder than the last. I do intend for things to change, to sow the seeds of evolution within arbs, some are old dogs, who seek no new tricks, but the younger generation, they are ready and willing to learn another way.

Many of you work on trees, and you must realise the great importance of these organisms, THINK about what it is that you claim to be, are you a tree fella, or are you an arboriculturist? We have a job to do, WE are the foresters, the keepers of the wild woods and the urban forest, it is our duty to do this to the very best of our abilities, and so far i see very few doing it truly to the best of THEIR abilities.

Take some bloody responsibility for what you do, and stop making that rubbish excuse that you do what you do for money etc etc, i earn a very good wage, my firm makes a very good turnover and we do this whilst retaining even some of the most suspect trees around.

You have no excuses, when the decision has been made over your head despite your best efforts then its o.k and no guilt should be felt in this. BUT

If you fell a tree because its worrying somebody, and sympathise with them on that point you best be able to explain WHY you sympathise AND have a darn good professional opinion to justify yourself, otherwise your just a hack and slash merchant and you aint no urban forester. your just overpaid labour.

And i will say this, its o.k to make mistakes, even to do a bad job, BUT you MUST learn in every one of these situations and do better next time. that is all we can do in life.

:boring:

:sleep:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the reason i do this job is because i love destroying things, i always wanted to get a job on a big wrecking ball, but those days are gone.:thumbdown:

I have had guys come up to me that have worked on machines for 40 years that have said they have never seen ANYONE take so much joy in what i do.

There is nothing finer than crashing off big limbs, huge tops and felling trees,:thumbup: go and join the peace core Hammy, save some humans, the trees will be fine:sneaky2:, well unless me and Huck ever team up with that Chinook:lol:

For the record, it is at moments like that, when i feel so bloody frustrated by the lack of natural empathy in this world that i have my greatest inspirations. I tend to be at my best just after a low point, like a rubber ball I will ALWAYS bounce back, and each time lessons learnt and the bounce back harder than the last. I do intend for things to change, to sow the seeds of evolution within arbs, some are old dogs, who seek no new tricks, but the younger generation, they are ready and willing to learn another way.

Many of you work on trees, and you must realise the great importance of these organisms, THINK about what it is that you claim to be, are you a tree fella, or are you an arboriculturist? We have a job to do, WE are the foresters, the keepers of the wild woods and the urban forest, it is our duty to do this to the very best of our abilities, and so far i see very few doing it truly to the best of THEIR abilities.

Take some bloody responsibility for what you do, and stop making that rubbish excuse that you do what you do for money etc etc, i earn a very good wage, my firm makes a very good turnover and we do this whilst retaining even some of the most suspect trees around.

You have no excuses, when the decision has been made over your head despite your best efforts then its o.k and no guilt should be felt in this. BUT

If you fell a tree because its worrying somebody, and sympathise with them on that point you best be able to explain WHY you sympathise AND have a darn good professional opinion to justify yourself, otherwise your just a hack and slash merchant and you aint no urban forester. your just overpaid labour.

And i will say this, its o.k to make mistakes, even to do a bad job, BUT you MUST learn in every one of these situations and do better next time. that is all we can do in life.

I try to knock 10-15% off what the TO has requested (they are ridiculous amounts anyway, light under 33% - medium 34-49% and heavy 50%+) and if i get called back then i get called back but at least i tried!

I always try to have a chat with the client and ask why they have a problem with the tree and try to make them see the benefits

In the area i work in (lets just say it isn't really affluent) i have a 5-10% success rate:thumbdown: on changing peoples minds

its going to be a long hard slog:thumbup: especially with the philistines i work with:lol:

the reason i do this job is because i love destroying things, i always wanted to get a job on a big wrecking ball, but those days are gone.

I have had guys come up to me that have worked on machines for 40 years that have said they have never seen ANYONE take so much joy in what i do.

There is nothing finer than crashing off big limbs, huge tops and felling trees,:thumbup: go and join the peace core Hammy, save some humans, the trees will be fine:sneaky2:, well unless me and Huck ever team up with that Chinook:lol:

Im not worried about yours and huck generation, youll fade away, its the new generation that counts, the old timers time is now limited!:lol:

Im not worried about yours and huck generation, youll fade away, its the new generation that counts, the old timers time is now limited!:lol:

As long as men are men, saws go vroom vroom, trees go crash me and Huck will live for ever Tony. :biggrin:

If you want to live in a mud hut, fair enough. I dont. Just for you i am going to go and buy another 50" plasma, mount it on my hot tub and send you a picture of me smoking a big cigar:thumbup:

I try to knock 10-15% off what the TO has requested (they are ridiculous amounts anyway, light under 33% - medium 34-49% and heavy 50%+) and if i get called back then i get called back but at least i tried!

I always try to have a chat with the client and ask why they have a problem with the tree and try to make them see the benefits

In the area i work in (lets just say it isn't really affluent) i have a 5-10% success rate:thumbdown: on changing peoples minds

its going to be a long hard slog:thumbup: especially with the philistines i work with:lol:

Do you tell the customer this??????

Otherwise some would call charging them for X, but only giving them Y is theft!!