Is arb the only industry that people work for free to try and get a job

eggsarascal

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gardening industry is awfull for people wanting to work for free. At a garden i used to work at we had groups of volunteers (bored housewives, retired people who want to keep active, business types de-stressing, the whole 57 varieties). all of them helping and full of good intention. The down side is that for every 40 hours a week covered by volunteers the bean counters can save a qualified gardeners wage. In the end you have 1 or 2 gardeners where their used to be 11 or 12

Likewise in conservation there are loads of different types of volunteer, mostly unskilled. At our place we have kids wanting to earn their fishing membership, retired people, school work experience, special needs clients, the occasional industry specific (surprisingly, this is the type we have the least of, but feel we give the best experience to), companies doing team building exercises (had navy up, teachers, Envt Agency...), community service.... list goes on.

Bean counter in the sky sees 120 hours worth of volunteers for one day and says "we saved 3 weeks work.... very good value for money". If that's a group of teenagers with behavioural problems, that might tie up the whole team for the day, so 3 staff supervising (and joining in where possible), very little accomplished (in comparison with if we did it ourselves with powertools). Actual cost benefit = 3 staff days in debit. Times this by 10, especially in spring and summer terms, and we spend a hell of a lot of time dealing with volunteers (in addition to the regulars who we can leave to jobs).

With the"big society" on the way we will all soon have to be volunteers working free. :thumbup:

Have had loads of cv's and people asking for jobs over the years but not one has said they would do it for free to gain experience, quite a lot have been college leavers.

Tbh I couldnt have someone working and not pay them or let then think they arent getting paid.

Do you charge for quotes Mesterh? I don't , this costs me my time and money, the customers don't feel bad and pay me, do yours?

Of course not.

Tbh I don't see the connection.

Im not making the customer any money by proving them with a free quote.

Here in the states I would provide a discount off the job est. if I was the winning bider. Working for nothing in any industry much less the tree industry is ok if you or your employer can afford it. There are many hidden cost and benifits from hiring someone for the sake of getting started in ones job. I prefer to hire someone fresh out of school and pay according to knowledge and desire to make something better of ones self. Working for nothing still pays the same problem is it's hard to pay the bills from experience.

After reading through this thread I think we have a simple misunderstanding over the principle. I don't think anyone expects people to work for nothing - there is a reward being offered for the labour; i.e., an increased likelihood of being offered a job. To the unemployed, this has as much value as a days wage. Money is just another means of transferring reward.

When I volunteered (while being unemployed) at the beginning of my career I got paid. Not in cash, but in knowledge and experience.

how much are you actually losing?? most are not working anyway so do a couple of shifts for nowt and get the chance of a full time job, the way i see it is if you are prepared to work and do a bit more than the other person you will get a job- simple.

i am sure like most ive done my share of working for nothing to finish a job that was either underpriced (weve all done it) or hit problems with breakdowns etc.

People now want everything handed to them without sacrifice, i just dont see the world running like that, see the big picture a few days not paid and get the chance of a full time job that creates a life for you and your family.

It is working for free, and also costing me money, but I invest my time to look at work to get a return, rather than stamp my feet I get on with it as I see the bigger picture.

You've lost me.:confused1: well if you think I'm stamping my feet at something.:laugh1:

I just couldnt have someone graft for me and not pay them, that's all I'm saying.

Couldnt care what anyone else does, at least if they have a few people gaining experience and not having to pay them they can be more competitive than others. Everyones a winner.:thumbup:

I suppose in answer the the OP, no arb isn't the only industry there are plenty of others.

As long as people are genuinely learning a skill(hopefully not just dragging brash as I've seen before!) or gaining a job then good luck.:thumbup1: