Is there any reason why I can't use a Whoopie sling as a cambium saver

Arghshh

I have seen a loopie that someone had spliced with an isc pully on it. They then had a thin bit of hollow braid spliced to the pulley also with a retreival shakle on. This makes it retrievable. They had it made specifically for working and rescue on a spar.

You shouldnt really use a caribeaner as part of a friction saver. The gate could rub on part of the tree and open.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly Yale Whoopie Slings are not rated for PPE and should not be used as PPE. I was sent this picture by our dealer in Japan showing how they install and use Cambium Savers, they requested extra long cambiums which we now have made specially for them.

P1000373.jpg.14a6e851dca34a8240fd6bf049cb348a.jpg

Please forgive me

I am truly shocked by this thread how condoning practices that would break many many codes of practice and legislation.

from a legal point of view we are NOT allowed to use any non CE kit for life support end of

It has not been designed or intended to be used for this application

legally my shoe lace would be just as suitable and I would certainly not use that before anyone suggestd that would be fine:blushing:

:

Please forgive me

I am truly shocked by this thread how condoning practices that would break many many codes of practice and legislation.

from a legal point of view we are NOT allowed to use any non CE kit for life support end of

legally my shoe lace would be just as suitable and I would certainly not use that before anyone suggestd that would be fine:blushing:

I use a 9mm whoopie for a trunk belay. PPE

An 18mm whoopie for a flying capstan. Rigging

A 13mm loopie for re-direct. Rigging

A 9mm loopie for re-direct. PPE

A 9mm whoopie as a tether for non-CE certified Unicender. PPE

Some I have spliced, others I have not. All is fit for purpose. Does it have no more standing in court than a shoe lace. Really?!!

Why does a LOLER inspector pass it as fit for purpose?

Are they wrong, am I wrong?

If I were to work on a smooth barked parallel stem I would wrap several times around with a looong cambium saver or a length of PPE dedicated rope.

Edited by softbankhawks

Firstly Yale Whoopie Slings are not rated for PPE and should not be used as PPE. I was sent this picture by our dealer in Japan showing how they install and use Cambium Savers, they requested extra long cambiums which we now have made specially for them.

[ATTACH]58391[/ATTACH]

That's cool. Much less chance of marking the bark that way.

Do you mean John G of Tree Climbing Japan? I'm moving over in October. It's gonna be fun :thumbup1:

Sorry for the slight derail.

Paul

Please forgive me

Bob on Bob. What are folk thinking of suggesting other climbers climb on non CE marked kit? At best case scenario it would potentially invalidate your insurance in the case of an accident. Home made stuff isn't tested to any industry standard and may be assembled incorrectly and could fail.

It goes against all of the industry guidelines and a decent LOLER inspector should point this out ! (see LOLER thread started by Andy Collins) It should be possible to climb using loads of rigging kit but its not tested or constructed for PPE Jees guys what are you thinking recommending this to folk ?

:thumbdown:

A rope guides perfect, but if not, my old cambium saver had oval mallion instead of the small ring which would slip through the big ring, it allowed it to be choked to the stem, and the rope to pass through the mallion only or pully. not retrievable but handy for you're scenario

one like this https://www.gustharts.com/Products/Arborist%20Equipment/Arborist%20Climbing%20Equipment/Cambium%20Savers/Product/Petzl%20Treesbee%20(false%20crotch)/