Is there any reason why I can't use a Whoopie sling as a cambium saver

Arghshh

I would imagine there will be some EU ruling before long against splicing and tying rope for safety reasons and we'll all be using ART made devices that cost £100's and need replacing for LOLA faster than you can pay off your business account for the last load of kit, and we won't even know how to tie our own shoe laces?!? :wink::biggrin:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely the same reasoning behind us been trusted to tie correct knots

ive seen plenty poorly ties knots in my time too.....most common one i see is bowlines with about 4" of tail with no stopper....whilst technically not tied wrong(and arguably unlikely to fail), its still enough to set alarm bells ringing

you have to consider that these regulations are in place to take into account the inexperienced user who might for example hear about splicing on a forum and go out and try it out themselves following online instructions.

Not every one is competent!

Is an experienced climber who hasn't done a refresher coarse in 5 years still deemed as competent?

Do the guys that come from these crash courses in arb, where they get taught to do the lot in 4 weeks come under the competent stamp?

Even though they passed the same course I did they surely are more likely to make a mistake having learn a large amount in a small space of time without the experience to set it in the mind.

I know we all make mistakes but we have to be allowed to make our own educated decisions in this industry and making some kit should (IMO) be part of that if we are deemed competent to do so.

We all know we have to be so careful with insurance especially in our trade.

you have to consider that these regulations are in place to take into account the inexperienced user who might for example hear about splicing on a forum and go out and try it out themselves following online instructions.

Not every one is competent!

Does learning something from a book or an online resource mean I am incompetant. If thats the case, almost everything I know, I don't understand and am incapable of explaining or understanding.:001_huh:

Surely competance means you are capable of doing something properly regardless of how you learn it.:001_rolleyes:

Does learning something from a book or an online resource mean I am incompetant. If thats the case, almost everything I know, I don't understand and am incapable of explaining or understanding.:001_huh:

Surely competance means you are capable of doing something properly regardless of how you learn it.:001_rolleyes:

no, you totally misread my post Ben

Now what is the message there? The message is that there are known "knowns." There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.