Insurance

Ian150482

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did subbie to a couple of other firms but there was no way I was going to use my PLI if something goes wrong.

I didnt get a bonus if the job went sound so theres no chance im gonna pay out if i damage a fence panel,flag or something more expensive. Needless to say I never damaged anything and never got any bonus's either.

If you read your policy, you'll see there is an excess to pay out on. so fence panels, flags etc would be paid for from your pocket anyway. If the claim was say for £1million, for perhaps serious injury, the other parties insurance would claim of your insurance, that why you have it. In the event of you subbing to a company, the other party would claim from the company you sub to, and the companys insurer would look to recoup the money from you, or your insurer. You dont have a choice in the matter.

I had a long chat with my broker the other day as i was renewing, she explained the subbie issue to me. If you employ subbies you dont need EL if they come as a team (min 2 man), are un supervised, and carry their own EL. If you have just one subbie you must have EL as you can not do tree work on your own and so he must be working under your supervision.

Basicaly on any site where aerial tree work is taking place someone must have EL cover; but it does'nt have to be the main contractor.

If you read your policy, you'll see there is an excess to pay out on. so fence panels, flags etc would be paid for from your pocket anyway. .

Exactly! There was no chance of me paying in the event of an accident.

If the claim was say for £1million, for perhaps serious injury, the other parties insurance would claim of your insurance, that why you have it. In the event of you subbing to a company, the other party would claim from the company you sub to, and the companys insurer would look to recoup the money from you, or your insurer. You dont have a choice in the matter

Are you sure about the last bit of having no choice in the matter?

As far as I'm aware its the company in charge of the operation that takes responsibility for any accidents what so ever, unless you have a proper written up contract between the main employer and the subbie. If theres no written contract then they are classed as employee's basically and therefore covered by the main contractors insurance.

Btw I aint having a go at anyone just curious to know.

I had a long chat with my broker the other day as i was renewing, she explained the subbie issue to me. If you employ subbies you dont need EL if they come as a team (min 2 man), are un supervised, and carry their own EL. If you have just one subbie you must have EL as you can not do tree work on your own and so he must be working under your supervision.

QUOTE]

Interesting that.

Who are you insured with?

We are with AXA (i think) who said to me that anyone working under my control, which can mean a number of different things must be covered by me with EL.

QUOTE]

Interesting that.

Who are you insured with?

We are with AXA (i think) who said to me that anyone working under my control, which can mean a number of different things must be covered by me with EL.

Im with bryant kesek, its just the same for me, if they are under my control then i need EL, (which i have) but if i employed another 2 man (or more) team they would be covered as subbies as long as they were not under my supervision.

What you can't do is be a climber and have a groundie as a subbie.

So its ok for the main contractor to take all the profit and NONE of the risk?

Think I'm going to section a large half dead chsetnut down over the roof of a £million+ property, 10 foot sandstone wall,yorky stone paving and conservatory then pay out if I damage a fence panel?

Come on, I dont work like that with the guys who work for me.