starting work in this heat

THE88MAN

3 weeks ago i priced a large(for me anyway)conifer job for a loyal customer.started the job today at 8.30am,by 2pm we were still plodding but slow.i was wondering what thoughts anyone might have on an acceptable time to start work in this heat.the jobs in a suburban area of a small town and i was thinking tomorrrow and rest of the week starting half 7ish to get more done in cooler conditions,are there any rules or etiquette on start times,or should i just go for it?!! steve

Hard to say but chainsaws and chippers at 7ish think you may get neighbours complaning.

I have often wondered if we should do things the w3ay they do in spain work early stop around 1 or 2 have some down time some where cool and rest and start work againaround 4 until 7 or 8. Dont think my lads would be to pleased.

anyway dont worry about tomorrow its is pissing down here but i am a few miles south of you.

Regards

Wattie

Hard to say but chainsaws and chippers at 7ish think you may get neighbours complaning.

I have often wondered if we should do things the w3ay they do in spain work early stop around 1 or 2 have some down time some where cool and rest and start work againaround 4 until 7 or 8. Dont think my lads would be to pleased.

anyway dont worry about tomorrow its is pissing down here but i am a few miles south of you.

Regards

Wattie

my lad(s) would be pissed by 4! in years gone by in forestry i worked 6-2,chilled till 5 then couple of hours messing about the yard when hot,as you say.i just think this day and age with rushhour traffic and binmen coming ever earlier,why cant i? steve

All I found relating to noise disturbance is this byelaw: No person shall in any street or public place between the hours of 23.00 and 06.00 wantonly and continuously shout or sing or otherwise make any loud noise to the annoyance or disturbance of residents.

So I'd just check your local byelaws first.

But, a one-off job would probably not be considered a nuisance:

"What is a 'nuisance' in law?

This section provides information and advice about common law nuisance and statutory nuisance.

Common law nuisance

In common law there is something termed a 'nuisance' which can be defined as a matter which is an unreasonable and substantial interference on the use and enjoyment of a person's property.

For a matter to qualify and be actionable as a nuisance in law it must be a serious matter.

One-off events are rarely sufficient. Also, specific sensitivities of those suffering cannot be taken account of in deciding whether a matter is a nuisance.

Taking action in common law has some advantages over the statutory nuisance procedure which is described below.

Not least among the advantages is the fact that action is not restricted to the particular types of nuisance which form 'statutory nuisance'.

However, there are also disadvantages.

This is provided merely as a means by which to introduce statutory nuisance; you are strongly advised to seek legal advice before embarking on common law nuisance action"

And Buzz, I am classed as a one-off, therefore should be ok!! :001_tongue:

I think that people are only gonna get pissed off if it goes on for more than a few days.

But most people are alright if you smile and talk politely to em. I guess it really just depends on what the neighbours are like at the end of the day!!!