views/opnions on RFS tech cert

Ian Clarke

hello all at arbtalk

i am considering doing some studying and not sure between a uni/college course full time or RFS qualifications so i would like to hear peoples views and opinons on the RFS qualifications if you have completed them or are in the middle of finishing them.

yours ian c

You have the RFS Cert level 2 and the RFS Prof Dip level 6. The Tech Cert level 3.

I think the level 2 has been re writen but the format for the 3 and 6 hasn't been finalised yet.

If it was the level 3 tech cert that you wanted to do its no longer avaliable in that format so you will have to wait and see what comes out towards the end of the summer.

Done the Cert in arb last year good course leaned loads, but refuse to do the RFS part, why do you have to climb to do a forestry course?

You don't. You can do individual and multiple windblown instead. I don't get why cs32 wasn't included in the list though.

in reply to harmony arb this will sound like a silly question but how do i find a correspondence course?

and how many units were there? what were the units and what is the practical side of things? for the cert in arb

and cheers to all that have posted

I recommend the Cert. Arb. course as a great place to start in an academic career. I learned loads, and was surprised how little I really knew before hand. Depending how well you regulate your home studying you could probably do a correspondence course In about a year. It's then upto you to decide when you feel able to sit the theory exam. Once you've get the qualification under your belt you can then go for the next one with a good basic understanding of arboriculture. Level 3 Tech. Cert. is now longer avilable but is to be replaced with level 4 Prof. Dip. apparently.

HI 'Harmony Arb',

I think (aghhh, dangerous territory!) that the proposal is, the AA Tech Cert as was (and this title may change to 'Arb QCF level 4'), will become a level 4 qualification available as either 'Certificate' or 'Diploma' based on the number of notional hours of study undertaken.

The RFS Prof Dip, as was, will become the 'Arb QCF level 6' (I think), so will still be at a higher level.

SIMPLES eh?! Not sure why all this is changing, I think in part to give more recognition at level 2 perhpas, but see Further guide to qualifications and careers in arboriculture for further info.

Good luck..!

Cheers..

Paul

PS Again as I understand it, this does not mean if you have a current level 3 Tech Cert it will aoutomaticlaly be accelerated to 'level 4', additional study will be required to achive this...I think...."MR Dowson, where are you???"