log splitter advice wanted

Alex Reid

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you have had replies from the ‘trade’ I guess to make it a level playing field I should reply so you have some comparisons. Please feel free to view our Webb site, we may not be the cheapest but we probably have the largest selection of splitters available. There is an advert on the Arbtalk Webb site or go to alpinetractors.com

Edited by Spinner
wrote webb address wrong!

I am currently pricing for a PTO driven splitter to take 1.0m lengths, 13 (or 14) tonne capacity being ample for my needs

Riko responded the same day with a (so far) competive quote.

No response yet from Thor or Posch suppliers.

And it does not appear that Wallenstien supply such a machine.

Thanks Jim

Cheers

M

Just found it in the service manual. 28LPM for the one I have, some are 36LPM

I guess fitting it to the digger would be best as that has 40-45LPM

I have around the same flow rate 28lpm from my IH885 and my harrows r us jobbie is superb. But the tractor revs have to be 1600rpm, if i have them at 1200 then there is a drastic decrease in splitter performance and speed so i can understand your issues with lower flow rates. IMHO 28lpm will be fine.

In case anyone is interested at 1600 rpm i am chewing through 3 quarters of a gallon per hour. So i will be building a hydraulic pack powered by my petter ph2 motor.

I have around the same flow rate 28lpm from my IH885 and my harrows r us jobbie is superb. But the tractor revs have to be 1600rpm, if i have them at 1200 then there is a drastic decrease in splitter performance and speed so i can understand your issues with lower flow rates. IMHO 28lpm will be fine.

In case anyone is interested at 1600 rpm i am chewing through 3 quarters of a gallon per hour. So i will be building a hydraulic pack powered by my petter ph2 motor.

Owch,

I am monitoring my fuel consumption quite closely at the min. We have bought in a lorry load of wood & filled all the tanks (we have the 165 running the splitter, the 590 moving the full bags & the digger picking up the logs & holding them whilst they are cut on to the stack & the chain saw being filled from a 20l can). I am hoping to be able to say exactly how much fuel it takes to cut & split 1m3 of logs & so exactly how much it costs to produce. So far the 165 has hardly used much at all but its only running at 1000rpm. The pressure is fine it just the speed thats slightly slow. Not to bad when the OH is running it but I find it frustrating.

The trouble with running the splitter on the 590 (4wd) is that then the 2wd 165 will have to move & stack the bags & its just not up to it.